2005 Johnson 90hp carburated 2 stroke - warped float bowl repair documentation

SweetD

Petty Officer 2nd Class
All,

I get a lot of information from this website and contribute very little. I appreciate the knowledge here. I just wanted to document my successful repair of my leaky carb bowl on my 2005 Johnson 90hp 2 stroke carb'd outboard so someone with the same issue down the road can hopefully find benefit.

Originally I smelled fuel when on my boat at rest. Turned out I had gas pouring out of the bowl on one of my carbs when I pumped the primer bulb. The gasket between the float bowl and the carb body had just blown out.

Long story short the bowl was warped. I went to my trusty marine mechanic in town to order a rebuild kit first, and when that did not solve the problem, I went back to get a bowl. Unfortunately he did not have one in stock and I did order one for future use.

But, this guy is experienced (like many of you) and suggested that I sand the gasket mounting lip on a flat surface to see if I could at least temporarily salvage the warped bowl.

So I took the bowl, and on our bathroom countertop (flat silestone, my wife was not at home) laid a piece of 220 grit sand paper down, and slowly rubbed the gasket mounting surface of the bowl in a circular pattern, checking frequently to see whether the entire "lip" was being sanded. Eventually it was, and I replaced the gasket and re-assembled the carb to the motor.

Worker like a charm - ran the motor for an hour in the Atlantic here in RI and checked afterwards - no leaks!

So hopefully this can help someone suffering from the same affliction to easily find this option for repair...

Thanks!

Dave

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2005 Johnson 90hp carburated 2 stroke - warped float bowl repair documentation

Thanks for sharing I have the plastic bowl problems with the 9.9/15 late 80s all the time, I have been meaning to try this myself. glad to hear of your success.