74' Evinrude 85hp engine runs like a saint, but will not go into drive

jim85hp

Cadet
Hi. Like the title reads... 74' Evinrude 85hp engine runs like a saint, but will not go into drive....forward or reverse. I'm no mechanic, so what kind of things should I expect when removing the lower unit?? and when I put back together, what other things should I replace??.........This is my first engine, feeling cheap, so any work I can do myself will save me mulah!!...Oh, and since this engine is down, I went and bought another (89'Johnson 110 VRO):facepalm:( I NEEEDDDD to get out fishing! ):fish2:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 74' Evinrude 85hp engine runs like a saint, but will not go into drive

If you are going to remove the lower unit: shift it into gear by hand and then turn the drive shaft, then see if the propshaft turns. If you get no propshaft movement, you may want to take it to a shop. Also, check the factory service manual. There will probably be a height measurement spec for the correct length of the shift rod. It's adjustable and will affect shifting.

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 74' Evinrude 85hp engine runs like a saint, but will not go into drive

Yes, try it by hand as emdasapmgr has suggested. One thing to look for if no joy from doing this. Is the shift pin in the lever there? I had an engine this week where the shift pin worked itself out of the lever. Result...no shifting into forward or reverse.