2001 150HP Evinrude/Johnson - Starts when motor is up

All_Beagle

Recruit
Greetings,

I have a 2001 Seafox with 150HP Evinrude/Johnson outboard (motor is same year) and I'm having trouble starting it when the motor is completely down in the water. It's not 100% consistent with not starting when the motor is down but it's pretty bad (80% of the time it won't start). It ALWAYS starts though when I put the motor up to where the propeller is even with the water surface. The motor stalls on me sometimes when I sit idle, but otherwise sounds good.

I replaced the solenoid and cleaned up the battery connections.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm hoping this is a loose wire somewhere, but someone told me it could be the carburetor.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

rrw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2001 150HP Evinrude/Johnson - Starts when motor is up

Does the starter crank the engine over when it doesn't start? Or is the starter not doing anything?

All_Beagle

Recruit

The starter doesn't do anything. I just get a single click.

welcome.

when a engine is running on muffs or the exhaust is out of the water there is no back pressure so it can run even if one or more cylinders are not working. A good clue that theres a problem is when the engine will not idle with out stalling. you need to do the basics

check compression on all cylinders, check spark with a spark tester on all cylinders, If both of these tests are ok then replace the spark plugs and look at the carbs (better to service early then to risk burning a piston because the carb is dirty)

edit: from the last post you also have a dirty connection on the starter lead if the starter is just clicking. you need to remove and clean all the large cables connectors till they are shinny.