'61 evinrude 18hp fastwin 15034-10961 timing advance issue?

Hello, Well a couple of months ago I put new coils, condensers, points plugs and wires. After getting it all back together and on the water it runs great at idle or trolling speed, it doesn't miss a beat but it doesn't get up to full throttle or even close.. I tied it up to the dock and took the motor cover off to inspect, it appears the shifter leaver is not out enough for the link & stop to advance past to get to full throttle.. Also the roller is only making it halfway up the throttle cam and not reaching max throttle? Is there a chance I didn't connect the stator base properly after I re-wired it? Someone told me the timing is not advancing correct?
Any ideas?

nwcove

Admiral
Re: '61 evinrude 18hp fastwin 15034-10961 timing advance issue?

sounds like there is possibly an issue with the safety lockout. remove the cowl and verify that it is or isnt doing what its supposed to do.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Is forward gear fully engaged?

Sorry I should have explained before that I have almost no clue what I'm doing.. The only reason I got this far is because of the great people on this site.

sounds like there is possibly an issue with the safety lockout. remove the cowl and verify that it is or isnt doing what its supposed to do.
I'm not sure exactly what it is or isn't supposed to be doing?? Do you have a link or can explain please?

Is forward gear fully engaged?
Yessir. She'll go into gear and putt putt around flawlessly for hours while I fish (troll) without a cough or hickup.

nwcove

Admiral

Im not totally framiliar with your model, but most have a device on the shifter side that will only allow the throttle to advance a little bit while the engine is in neutral, if theres an issue with it, it may be keeping the throttle from advancing while in gear .

lindy46

Captain

Remove the cowl and observe what happens at the upper end of the shift lever mechanism when you shift gears and advance the throttle. The top of the lever should hit a "stop" when in neutral, and when you shift into forward, it should just miss the "stop" to advance the throttle fully. If the throttle advances fully in forward and the motor still isn't achieving top speed, you may only be running on one cylinder.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Or your throttle mesh gears may not be sycronized, (gear cog teeth not in right position) which will not allow the timing plate & carb arm to advance into a postion far enough to go to full throttle.

bwkre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well its your lucky day, I just brought home my 61 18hp Fastwin. So here is what you have for the lockout linkage,

fulloff.jpg

The picture shows the timing plate with markings 1full forward speed stop, 2 full reverse stop and 3 neutral stop. 4 indicates the shift linkage which will move out when shifted from neutral. 5 is a hard stop that will prevent the timing plate from rotating too far. This picture is with the motor in neutral and the tiller in the stop position.

neutral.jpg

The image above shows the motor still in neutral but the timing plate ( tiller handle ) is moved against the stopper and this will limit the motor speed in neutral

fullreverse.jpg

The image above shows the motor shifted into reverse and the tiller has been rotated to maximum speed in reverse. Faster than neutral but no where near full speed.

fullfwd.jpg

The image above shows the motor in forward and the timing plated rotated to max speed. Notice how the plate also rests against the hard stop.

So if you can not achieve this type of movement in the timing plate and lock out lever then something must be assembled wrong. Hope this help, good luck.

Thanks you all.. I'm gonna go take a look now and take some pictures to post...