90's johnson 25hp no forward only neutral and reverse

frlyfn9er

Recruit
last fall the water pump went out, so this week I put a new water pump kit in the lower unit and when I get it all back together it runs great and it's pissing water as it's supposed to but when the handle is in the neutral detent location the prop is in reverse, when you shift the handle to reverse, no change. when I shift the handle to the forward location, the prop is in neutral.... its like everything got shifted a little bit one way and there isn't enough handle movement to get it to go forward.... this is the first time the motor has ever been apart or had any problems since new in aprox. 1993 its a j25telets
did I put something back together incorrectly???? any help would be much appreciated

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 90's johnson 25hp no forward only neutral and reverse

When you replaced the water pump, the lower portion of the shift rod/linkage must have turned on you. Look at these pictures and notice the shift rod connection behind the water intake screens is adjustable by turning the lower portion of the rod that threads into or out of the gear case for adjustment. You may be able to grasp the rod with pliers, or needle nose pliers.DSC00201.jpgDSC00202.jpg

frlyfn9er

Recruit

I did turn the lower nut to screw them together, I apparently am only supposed to turn the top one to attach them together?

if this is the case how will I know how far to turn it back?

can I run it to a stop and count how many turns out or just turn it a bit and retry?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Run the bottom rod in until it stops and then hook up the linkage not turning the bottom one.

frlyfn9er

Recruit

I will give that a shot first thing in the morning and see how it goes, thanks a bunch

frlyfn9er

Recruit

works great now in all gears and the detents appear to be good as well. now onto the next problem, I installed a new e-stop switch as the old one did not function, well neither does the new one so apparently the old stop switch wasn't actually bad... unfortunately I cut the wires to pull the new ones through.... needless to say I have to start tracking down where the problem with this is next. I tried grounding to a new location and it did not change anything?????