50 hp force to a 100 Johnson commercial

truckerx

Recruit
Hey guys! 20 ft. SweetWater pontoon had a used and abused 50 hp force- damn thing caught fire- not woth fixin right now, so getting ready to swap to a 100 hp Johnson thats in mint shape, just bought it today! Got a guy who managed a marina to hook it up and do the swap- any suggestions would be much appreciated! where do i find new controls? should i use an engine hoist or my back -hoe to lift the engines ect...:confused:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 50 hp force to a 100 Johnson commercial

Didn't the controls come with the new mtr ?? They should have.

truckerx

Recruit

Hey Boobie! No, the seller made it clear it was just the motor ,no controls- Found new Brp Control about $300 bucks but it sure looks sweet! Then i need cables and wiring harness too! I never took on a boat project like this but Im hoping Ill get good results at a reasonable cost if i put in some effort! Thanks for the reply!

truckerx

Recruit

Hey, Its a 1998 Johnson Commercial not a truly new motor! not sure if i mentioned that !? Want to get it all ready at least by July 1st without going bust if you know what i mean!:lol:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The Johnson/evinrude controls changed with the advent of the new electrical systems, starting in model year 1996. While the throttle/shift cables remained the same, the electrical connectors changed to the deutch style. If you are looking for a used control box, it might be easier to stick with the 96 and up versions. If you plan to use an older box (95 and older,) on your newer engine, you'll have to get some conversion/adapter cables from Bombardier. See your Bombardier dealer for those adapter cables. Normally, the commercial outboards have unsual attributes, including unusual gearcases and lower unit gear ratios-usually best on heavy, slow work boat applications. In your situation with a pontoon boat, it may work to your advantage.

truckerx

Recruit

hey Admiral, thanks for the post!I think the same about it being a good choice for my pontoon, hopefully will be a dependable workhorse engine that won't break easily and will last a long time. Hey 40 mph on this twenty foot pontoon and ill be in heaven!

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

hey Admiral, thanks for the post!I think the same about it being a good choice for my pontoon, hopefully will be a dependable workhorse engine that won't break easily and will last a long time. Hey 40 mph on this twenty foot pontoon and ill be in heaven!

Good luck on your project- I put a '87 Johnson 110 on my 20' Sun Tracker a few yrs ago - Don't know if you'll see 40mph but mine hits 30 gps with no sweat :joyous:

chrisnj

Seaman

I may be getting one of these Johnson 100hp Commercial engines for my 19' center console key west.
It's going to need to be gone over, but I'm not sure how much yet.
The boats 1650lbs.
What do y'all think of the pairing?
Just how slow is slow?

I would actually prefer to have it last longer than have it go faster, but there is a point where slow is too slow.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The commercial models tend to have lower compression so that they can run on lower octane fuels found overseas. They also tend to have larger gearcases with different gear ratios for pushing large boats. As such, these gearcases are less desirable for normal recreational boating. Pontoons are another thing, larger gearcases and lower ratios work well on them.