Primer Solenoid question 2000 ---50 HP Johnson

Hdog412

Seaman
Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone has had a great start to boating season.

I have a 2000, 50 HP Johnson, about 2 years ago I replaced the primer solenoid, and it seemed like that was the issue and it worked fine all last season. This year while getting the boat ready, I noticed the primer solenoid wasn't working with the key again.

Is there anything that could be causing me to blow out primer solenoid?

I would like to note that I noticed that some starting on my outboard under the cover and some corrosion on the bottom spark plug.

I can start the boat by flipping the red switch, but if I can avoid it I would rather not have to open the motor cover every time.

Thanks and have a great day.

Regards

Harry

phillnjack2

Ensign
Re: Primer Solenoid question 2000 ---50 HP Johnson

Ahh
Now ive had the sane problem and it could be you have what mine had.

the wire from the solenoid goes through a hole in the block back towards ignition, i found this wire had rubbed along the
block and caused a short !!!!!!!!!!!
The wire was even burnt colour near the solenoid as well.

Also on anther engine i found the solenoid rubber inside was gummed up with stale oil and that stopped a solenoid from working
off the key.
i would take the unit apart, its pretty easy to do and clean it all out.
at the end of season you are supposed to run these through with a cleaner that comes with the fitting on the can from brp.
Its to stop any gumming up inside the chamber of the electro magnetic things that operates from the key by pushing it in.

Ive got 4 of these units and all have had issues and apart from the wire rubbing its always the gummed up metal rod due to stale fuel
settling in it over the winter due to its angle on the engine.

The idea of these units is brilliant, BUT fuel does get past and down into the metal rod as you will find out when you take it apart.

not a hard job ,but a bit finicky and watch for any broken bits etc ha ha

good luck

phill

Hdog412

Seaman

Quick Stupid question: do I have to connect the lanyard to activate the primer solenoid with the key? because thinking back I don't think I did because I was starting at my house and reaching over the boat.

I rather ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake (like removing/cleaning/replacing primer solenoid).

Thanks and have a great day.

Regards

Harry

boobie

Supreme Mariner

No lanyard needed. Just push the key in which activeates the primer.

Hdog412

Seaman

Thanks for the replies guys, I was kind of hoping the lanyard was going to make a difference, but I guess I will have to if I can fix it Phill's way.

Have a great day.

Regards

Harry