1990 90 hp Evinrude battery drain

rogerrabbitis

Seaman
I just got a 1990 90hp Evinrude and this has happened 2 times now. First time out had issues with battery and starting got running and everything runs good did a few slow speed runs around 3000rpm but when went back for a full throttle run around 5000rpm just stopped and could not get it to turn over it was like battery was dead. Thought battery issue so bought new battery like 800 cranking amps...started fine went out did a slow speed run around 3000rpm and battery showing around the 14 volts and then went for a full Throttle run around 5000rpm and just died a few seconds in and again not able to turn over with battery acting like was dead. Had booster pack on me this time had to choke and prime it to get it to start and slowly made it back to dock. Any ideas.?? I am thinking 2 issues Fuel delivery at high speed and possibly a battery drain.?? battery was fully charged each time I started and voltage showing 12 but when trying to start going down to 8 or lower. thanks for your help.

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: 1990 90 hp Evinrude battery drain

Is your motor trying to overheat and seize up after your 5000 rpm runs that would account for the battery not being able to turn the engine over.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You may have a bad new battery. Seen it happen. Look into that and then find out why the mtr quit.

JDusza

Ensign

1 Yes, fuel delivery issue: "had to choke and prime".
2a Bilge pump stuck and "on"?
2b Battery die from too much cranking without fuel?
2c Clean ALL battery, relay and starter connections.
J

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Will has made an interesting observation. A high speed overheat lockup will absolutely prevent the starter from spinning the flywheel until the powerhead cools down. Have you tested the control box horn to see if it funtions?

rogerrabbitis

Seaman

Just a little more history..this motor is freshly re-built......Vro disconnected, Good water coming out of Tell water pump also replaced.

1) the New battery started night before with muffs and put battery on charge to make sure had full power next day when took boat out. when starting Volt meter on boat sticking on 12V......after motor stopped would dip down to 8 volts or lower and would hardly move the starter to start. All electronics turned off radio\bilge\fish finder\lights.

2) Motor when starting does not making any beeping sounds. Should it? First time owning a motor like this! Will have to test siren in controls.?

3) overheating is possible but did not really notice any sign and water coming out of tell good and started right away after stopped with booster pack (and little choke and ball prime) Idled back to dock and battery seem to get a little stronger and started and stopped at dock a few times before putting back on trailer.

I am taking guy out this weekend who re-built it and see what he thinks. Just trying to get some ideas...the only ones I can think of is Carb issues at high speeds and Stator under flywheel draining battery at high speeds..?? motor seems to run fine at idle and crusing at around 3000rpm but when giving full throtle and going to around 5000 rpm seems to be when my problems start.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

1. The charging of the battery and engine starting is not related to the ignition side on that engine. Two separate issues. Once started, the ignition system makes it's own voltage/current. The charging coils are separate and unrelated to ignition coils. Unlikely a battery issue is what caused the engine to quit in your original post. 2. Test the starter by itself. Connect the starter to a good battery with a set of automotive jumper cables. If it starts/cranks fine, the starter is ok. Look to the solenoid. If the internal contacts get burned (with age) they won't transfer enough current to spin the starter when under load. 3. It is possible that the charging system is not functioning. If so, the measured battery voltage when running may gradually go down from 12.6 to 11 or less. Possibly a bad combination rectifier/regulator. Usually when the engine has charging issues, the tach starts to act up.

rogerrabbitis

Seaman

Had it out on the weekend with the guy who re-built it and we could not make it do it allthough water ( I think we got air on one wave) conditions were not the best and could not get it going for a good run like we did last time. I got it up to 5200 rpm a few times but not long enough like last time to replicate the issue. One note though the Amp gague on boat as we were at idle was up around the 15V took time to get up there but kept going up and up when turned off went back to around 12- 13 v but when back on sloley went back up. The guy is going to replace fectifier/regulator and will go from there..keep you posted.

rogerrabbitis

Seaman

ok well I guess there was some bad connections. My boat motor guy cleaned and tightened some connections to the battery and had it out on the weekend and everything was fine. Ran like a top. strange issue but glad it is fixed...!!!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Some times it's the simplest of solutions....