2001 115hp Johnson starts and immediatly dies

I have a 2001 115hp johnson outboard on my pontoon. I am experiencing a strange problem and my research has come up empty as to why this is occuring.

When the engine is cold (when I first launch the boat) the engine will fire easily and immediatly go dead. I can do this over and over again. The motor has no problem firing off but wont stay running for more than a second.

If I give it say 50% throttle, the engine fires no problem and stays running. I will let it run for a minute like this at say 2000 rpm or so. Then slowly bring the RPMs down to idle. Sometimes it will die when returned to idle. If it dies, I will crank at high idle again and repeat. Eventually the engine will run at idle and I can operate normally. Once I am underway the motor runs perfect.

After running down the water for a while the boat idles no problem. It will crank and idle easily. If I sit for an hour or two then the boat goes back to having the same problem as before.

What would cause the cold start problem I am experiencing?

Things to know:
I recently had a problem with the motor not having any spark. I installed a new key switch and that did not fix the problem. On a whim, I swapped batteries and problem solved. The motor is currently hooked to a deep cycle battery (maintenance free) and I have the rectifier disconnected to keep from overcharging anything until I can get a new starting battery.

Gas is good and carbs are clean. Primer silenoid works correctly.

If I hold the key to the start position the engine continues to run. (Yes, the key switch is wired correctly)

Thanks in advance!

Steven

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2001 115hp Johnson starts and immediatly dies

What do your plugs look like? Gap? What does spark look like? What rpm is your idle set at?

Tom B.
(LongLine)

Re: 2001 115hp Johnson starts and immediatly dies

I have pulled the plugs and they look fine. I don't see anything unusual. I don't have a gap tool to measure the gap but this problem just started recently. Unless the gap some how changed I wouldn't expect that to be the problem. I also don't have a proper spark tester (will be getting one soon) so I can't tell what the spark looks like. I did not need a spark tester to see that there was no spark on the engine with my previous problem. I simply pulled and grounded the plug to see that there was no spark. The only way I can check RPM is with the dash tach and it will not work until I hook up the rectifier and I cant do that till I get a new battery.

Until then, is there any other ideas or items I could be looking at?