68 Evinrude Fisherman 6hp

So I have a small 6hp evinrude outboard. The issue is that it cannot run without the choke on. The thing starts up easily on the first or second pull. I can run at all throttle positions as long as the choke is on. When I drop the choke, there is a slight burst of power but then the engine sputters and dies unless the choke is reapplied. I did a quick clean of the carb which allowed me to start it. (It wasn't even starting before.) I assume I missed something. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Scurvy Knave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 68 Evinrude Fisherman 6hp

Hi. welcome to iboats.

sounds like you're motor is not getting enough fuel. Could be lots of things. If you post a model number, we can help you.

nwcove

Admiral

at the very least, you need to get a carb kit, and PROPERLY clean the carb. ( just spraying with carb cleaner and compressed air is not it!!)

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Pull the float bowl, remove the drain plug and check the high speed jet under it for being GOOD and CLEAN.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you can get it running, & as you lessen the choke, try to pump the fuel line bulb. If it stays running by pumping the bulb, you probably have a fuel ine leak ahead of the fuel pump, or a bad fuel pump.

If no difference is made in pumping the bulb, it will then be in the carb.

Scurvy Knave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the number is in the format XXXXX-XXXXX , the first part is the model number, the part after the dash is the serial.

DinghyJohn

Cadet

It's happened to me on tractors, lawn mowers, chainsaws and outboards. You're getting great advice but one thing that hasn't been mentioned is that if you leave old fuel in the carb and don't run it dry the new ethanol gas can create a gooey mess in your carb which will need to be cleaned out from time to time. Don't know if you in Ontario have any ethanol additive to your fuel but it has played havoc here in Hawaii.
John

nwcove

Admiral

if it is a 1968 you should see 6802 or 6803 on the tag.

Scurvy Knave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's happened to me on tractors, lawn mowers, chainsaws and outboards. You're getting great advice but one thing that hasn't been mentioned is that if you leave old fuel in the carb and don't run it dry the new ethanol gas can create a gooey mess in your carb which will need to be cleaned out from time to time. Don't know if you in Ontario have any ethanol additive to your fuel but it has played havoc here in Hawaii.
John

I hate to contradict people, but I wouldn't run a 2-stroke dry. First off, no gas = no lubrication. Second, since you're likely doing this in neutral, as the motor leans it will surge and can overspin and damage itself over time by doing this.

The problem with ethanol in gas is if your lines are not ethanol proof it will dissolve them and make horrendous gum. Just change your lines instead of possibly damaging your motor.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I understand the concern for multi-carbed motors, where one could run dry before the other. And for smaller single carbed motors, I know a whole bunch of boaters who have been running them dry for years & the motors are still functioning, must be lucky blokes.

DinghyJohn

Cadet

I hate to contradict people, but I wouldn't run a 2-stroke dry. First off, no gas = no lubrication. Second, since you're likely doing this in neutral, as the motor leans it will surge and can overspin and damage itself over time by doing this.

The problem with ethanol in gas is if your lines are not ethanol proof it will dissolve them and make horrendous gum. Just change your lines instead of possibly damaging your motor.

It's ok to contradict me because it is just an opinion. I've been running my chainsaw and weedwhacker engines dry for more than 30 years each time I use them. It still runs very strong. The ethanol contamination I've experienced has left a yellowish goo all throughout the carb and in the float bowl of a generator. Nastiest mess I've ever seen. It didn't seem to bother the fuel lines that much. Now I put a fuel cut off valve on everything or pull the fuel line on anything I know I might leave sitting for a few days and run the engine until it dies. A 2 stroke will stop immediately when there is no fuel.

Like I said its just my opinion and it works for me.

Scurvy Knave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I don't pretend to be an expert on anything except on how to annoy my wife. If it works for you that's good. I don't really feel comfortable doing it, and I can't say that it's been much of a problem for me. I try to only use fresh gas (burn the old stuff in the wife's car :laugh:) and usually put Stabil in all my gas cans right away and use good quality oil for 2-strokes.

The Tygon fuel lines like you find in chainsaws and weedwackers are ok with the EtOH, but the old black rubber ones on many outboards tend to dissolve, especially if they dry out a bit first.

See: http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-evinrude-outboards/classic-case-ethanol-poisioning-330129.html

So as a final heads up, its a 6602E model engine. I guess that means its a from 1966. So I had some free time and picked up a rebuild kit. I fully cleaned the carb and it runs amazingly now. Starts up on the first pull and runs without the choke.

As to the response regarding ethanol additives, I avoid these like the plague. I have heard the stories about what they do to 2 cycle engines and I'm actually a biologist by trade so I see what it does to rubber in the lab. I'm sure its terrible for the hoses as well as gaskets. Fortunately there is a station that sells the good stuff around here.