99 Evinrude 50 hp 4 stroke water pump failure

Rickf

Cadet
Water pump impeller came apart, pieces through out motor, cleaned out tell tale ports, pulled thermostat, found 1 piece, blew air back through block ( lower housing is removed), nothing came out, Any ideas for getting the rest out, or plugs to pull to clean out, suggestions?? Thanks,

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 99 Evinrude 50 hp 4 stroke water pump failure

Pull the thermo hsg off and remove the thermo and the pressue valve. Then put the hsg back on and hook up a water hose to the thermo out let. With the l/u off apply full water pressure to it. Put a pan below the water intake and see what you get out. Air pressure will get you no where. Been there.

Rickf

Cadet

No more pieces, flushed it both ways up and down, with the thermostat out and the lower unit off, could not find pressure relief valve/ housing using the illustrated parts diagram on the Evinrude site or my book, replaced water pump and plugged inlet plate on bottom of fin and used muffs on the side inlets, engine runs fine and does not over heat ( with muffs on), However what I did find while running is a lot of water coming out the rear of the mid case housing at the shifter shaft adjustment point, dropped lower unit again, pressurized lower unit with water, there is none coming out around the bottom of the pump, the top pump to shaft seal looked and felt good when the housing was off and the seal retaining spring is in place, the water outlet grommet to inlet water pipe has no tears and felt like it had a good seal, and the water inlet tube was in the pump grommet, Got burnt by that many years ago. Lower unit is off at present. Water is trickling out the tell tale hole when running, Any Ideas, and thanks for the help. I'm going to check the inlet tube for holes tomorrow, anything is possible.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

You have to pull the powerhead to access and take apart the pressure relief valve on that motor.

Rickf

Cadet

Do you think that is necessary Seahorse? I will if it is necessary, this engine has less than 50 hours. Any ideas on the extra water in the midsection? Thanks,

Rickf

Cadet

Quick update, already had the lower unit off, and sea horse is correct the pressure relief valve is on the bottom of the power head, it is also in the water pump, output shaft, side of the mid section so that if the pressure relief valve opens, it dumps water out the shifter shaft access hole, it is possible to get the mid section off without removing the power head if the lower unit is removed, as that is how I accessed the relief valve (which was clean) engine runs fine now except,engine is making a schreeching nose at higher rpm's but will start a new thread for that now. thanks for the input.