1959 johnson seahorse 35

I just bought a 1959 Johnson seahorse 35 over the weekend it is my first outboard. I only paid $100.00 for it and a boat trailer Ialready have a 1970s model 14 foot quachita I am thinking of putting to 35 hp on the boat is rated at 25 hp. I believe the motor is only firing on 1 cylinder I an not sure it cranks and runs will not idle and unsure if it is pumpimg wate any suggestionson this will be greatly appreciated. This is very unfamiliar territory to me seeing as how the motor is a good 20 years my senior.

lindy46

Captain
Re: 1959 johnson seahorse 35

If the condition of the motor is unknown, First thing to do is check compression. You should get 110+psi on both cylinders and even across the cylinders. If compression is good, all other issues can be addressed fairly easily and without too much expense. Next, I'd check under the flywheel and see how the coils are. Old, cracked coils must be replaced, and that involves pulling the flywheel with a harmonic balance puller. Once in there, it's probably a good idea to replace the points and condensers, and plug wires also. Obviously, a new set of plugs would be a good idea. Use Champion J4C or J6C set to .030".
Next, I'd rebuild the carb - get a kit with a new float, and replace the old fuel lines if they are original. Then, remove the lower unit and replace the water pump impeller. Finally, change the gear oil. For about $150 in parts, you will have a motor good for another 50+ years.

I have it running but not idleing I know I nned to replace a couple of fuel lines. I have been trying to find a picture that notes the intake for the water pump. I am thinking of trying it on my 14 foot boat this weekend I just don't want to put it in the water and overheat it .

Scurvy Knave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

putting that motor in the water without assessing its condition, and particularly of the cooling system is only asking for trouble down the road.

We can help with diagrams, but a model number would be most helpful.

It is a rd-21 I put it in a barrel of water but the water only came up about 8inches to a foot above the propeller I only ran it about 2 minutes because I did not want to overheat it

Scurvy Knave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you can see a diagram of the gearcase here:

Johnson Gearcase Group Parts for 1959 35hp RD-21 Outboard Motor

the water pump intakes from the screen just above the exhaust (#26) and through the small plate just below the water pump (#16).

You need to make sure that the motor is submerged to well above the height of the pump casing. Those pumps are not self-priming.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I would try to swap that 35 for an engine that your boat is rated for, CLB. It is too powerful and too heavy (probably) for safe operation on your Ouachita tinny.

That is a good engine that should be easy to sell/swap. Fix it first, then swap it for one that fits your boat.