1986 Johnson 9.9 with remote oil and fuel mixing tank

sec56

Seaman
I purchased a used Crestliner 2360 Eagle SST this past April with a 1986 Johnson 9.9 kicker. Motor ran fine with a 6 gallon tank, but won't run off the boats tanks. I found the problem to be with the remote oil tank. This remote oil tank mixes the gas and oil together as fuel passes through it. There are no electrical connections on this oil tank, and no place for them. There is a float inside with a circular metal piece attached to it, like a plunger, but doesn't pass through the housing. I think it may be magnetic. When the float lowers, my guess is it lifts a plunger beneath the housing to shut off fuel when oil is too low. There is no flow through the fuel inlet and outlet. I still have to check to make sure that the float (cork) is actually floating in the oil. Can the float saturate in the oil tank? Now, when I look up my 1986 Johnson 9.9, there is a listing for a fuel tank with a oil tank built in, or just a standard fuel tank with or without fuel gauge, but no remote oil tank. Anyway the oil tank that is with the boat does say OMC on the cap. I suspect this oil tank is an add-on as a replacement for original VRO system. I don't know. There are no part numbers which I can see so far. Oil tank is circular, about 7 inches tall 5 to 6 inches in diameter an threads into the base which the fuel passes through, then the assembly snaps into a bracket secured to the floor in the boat. Any help/suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance for any advise.