e40elcde evinrude electric Start Primer System

sqlhawkn

Cadet
Just rebuilt carbs and flushed fuel lines on my 40hp evinrude since it sat for the last two years. It doesn't want to start unless I turn off the elec primer (flip the red lever) - crank the motor and it runs for a 1/2 sec - then flip the red lever back to pointing in the correct position. Then it runs fine until i turn off the key. Any ideas on whats wrong here?

rrw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: e40elcde evinrude electric Start Primer System

When you say "turn off the electric primer, flip the solenoid "what do you mean? The lever normally points toward the bottom of the solenoid, when its like that, you should be able to activate it by PUSHING your key in, when you turn the lever perpendicular to the solenoid you're manually shooting fuel into the intake, just as if you pushed key in, so once it starts the only way it should stay running is to either release the key or manually turn lever parallel with solenoid. If I'm missing something let me know...

sqlhawkn

Cadet

Your summary sure sounds much better than mine! So.....pushing the key in does the same thing as flipping the lever perpendicular to the solenoid. Ok.........is it possible for it to not be activating when I push the key in while trying to start the motor? Or is there a way to make sure it is activating correctly?

Thanks

rrw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lol, hopefully I can guide you through this. Yes its possible the electric part is not working, the easiest way to test would be to pull one of the small fuel line off either the carb or solenoid (be very careful not to break plastic nipple on solenoid) pump your primer bulb up, then turn key to on, not start, and push in, it should squirt fuel out of unhooked port. You can verify this by rotating lever on solenoid after pumping bulb and leaving fuel line off solenoid, this should give you a good idea of how the solenoid functions.

sqlhawkn

Cadet

Finally got around to checking on the primer solenoid. Pulled the small fuel lines that go into the carbs and NOTHING happens with the key in the ON position and pushing the key in. However, with the small gas lines still off, and I rotate the lever on the solenoid gas squirts out like it should. Is it possible to rebuild this solenoid? Or will it have to be replaced? Or are there any other simple fixes?