2003 Johnson 90 Lower Unit Leak Solved....I Think

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer
Hello to all,
I am the guy with the leaking Lower unit. I replaced the prop shaft seals, the drive shaft seals, the shift rod O ring and gasket, and the crush washers on the fill screws. The Lower Unit passed a vacume test, and a pressure test so I filled the unit with Pennzoil MARINE 80/W 90 gear oil from Wallyworld. Used the boat one time, brought it back in and popped the bottom fill screw. The fluid was foamy and looked like yellow custard.

Took the lower unit off once again. Pressure tested. Passed. Vacume tested....passed. Filled up my granddaughters kiddie pool and dunked the lower unit and added 20, then 25 lbs of pressure (as Manual sugggests) Passed with flying colors. No leaks or bubbles after three hours. THIS time, refilled with Johnson/Evinrude Synthetic Gear Oil. Installed on the motor and ran it all day. No leaks.

I don't think I had a leak after the first time I resealed this thing. I believe the Pennzoil fluid just foamed up and changed color....making me think I had a second water leak. What do you guys think? Has anyone ever heard of this?

Re: 2003 Johnson 90 Lower Unit Leak Solved....I Think

unless you flushed the lower unit after it had the original oil leak some of the water that got in would still be there so the first oil replacement would be expected to contaminated.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

Good point Glenn. How does one "Flush" a lower unit?

theres a lot of diffrent ways to flush one but the easiest is to replace the oil and do a quick run then replace it again.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I guess thats what I did then. Thanks for the input. It has been a frustrating journey for me.