1986 Evinrude 2 Stroke V6 150 hp starts (with manual help) then dies. Please help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

poundtowne

Cadet
Facts:
1) I just purchased the boat and i ran it with ears before purchasing. All seemed well but it was the first start since winterizing
2) Motor would run fine but every once in a while while going full speed I'd feel a lapse then problem would go away
3) This last week it would start right up, no issues
4) Prior to that I would have to put the throttle all the way down to get it to start and it would have intermittent issues where it would crank and crank and finally fire up (sometimes it would take a couple minutes to get started)
5) Boat has always idled rough
6) When boat did start it would smoke a ton (and it seems that it always had a bit more smoke than normal at all times)

What Ive done:
1) removed all carbs, checked gaskets, they seem fine
2) disconnected choke electric and turned it to manual (didnt seem to start at all)
3) reconnected and manually moved butterflies (throttle) and got it to start. Tons of smoke, and only runs for about 20-30 seconds
4) checked for leaking fuel. Nothing excessive but the bottom carb was filled with fuel when i took off the air gasket and engine seems to flood since it wont start after turning over a few times in a row. With air gasket open there is no place where excessive fuel is coming out but it does seem that the inside of all 3 of these have a bit more fuel than they should in them.
5) replaced all spark plugs
6) checked for leaking oil/fuel inside cover on motor etc... nothing out of the ordinary
7) read a bunch of threads on here about replacing/rebuilding carbs etc... not sure if this is really necessary considering the above facts. Please consider this and advise me otherwise
8) checked compression in all 6 and was perfectly fine

as i said, i can get it to start if i let it sit for a bit and manually move the butterflies but it will smoke like hell and die after 20-30 seconds

was hoping to fish a tournament tomorrow but it looks like Im SOL. This stinks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rgray0608

Cadet
Re: 1986 Evinrude 2 Stroke V6 150 hp starts (with manual help) then dies. Please help

Sounds flooded. I hear the floats on those get sticky from the oil. If your primer bulb is hard I would check carbs. If you pulled carbs already and used new gaskets, I would consider the floats.

poundtowne

Cadet
Re: 1986 Evinrude 2 Stroke V6 150 hp starts (with manual help) then dies. Please help

I pulled the carbs and cleaned everything with carb cleaner even sprayed inside the lines, pins, jets, everything. It started and ran for about 45 seconds and sounded good but died after. I checked the position of the floats and how far they opened looked good. Cleaned float hinges and pins. It almost seems that its running out of gas by the way it sputters out but I see fuel so I think it is flooded. I checked for a spark and all plugs are sparking. Ill rebuild it and reclamp all lines then update everyone. Any other ideas? The ball goes slightly soft after it turns over and runs for a second but its not mushy is that normal?

poundtowne

Cadet

One last thing, when I pull the spark plug in the middle right (when facing the back of the motor, standing by prop) it has dirty or blackish fluid on it almost like there's burnt fuel or oil on it and that hole has a small steam of brown fluid when I pull it.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Do you have an actual choke or is it a primer solenoid? If it is a primer solenoid the red lever must be horizontal to the body of the solenoid or it will flood the engine because it pumping fuel at the same time the carbs are supplying fuel/air.

poundtowne

Cadet

Primer selenoid is in proper position. I even tried disconnecting the power to it and turning it to manual position. No go.

poundtowne

Cadet

Ok I pulled all 3 carbs again and checked the floats. The floats and pins are clean as a whistle, they almost look brand new. I tested each one individually and all three are completely sealed when the pin is pushed down. Floats are in proper position horizontally. I cleaned them again and applied a non-hardening gasket sealant to all gaskets so I know it is air tight. I know the carbs are in top notch working order. The boat ran for about a minute then shut off and I could see the jets pushing fuel out into the carbs (just a very small amount, not a ton) but after a bit it seemed to be flooded and wouldn't start again until I gave it a bit to sit. What would cause it to flood like this? Could it be the primer ball or the valve inside it? Anything else you can think of before I start replacing all of the tubing and hoses?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You may want to test for a weak VRO pump. When running, try constantly priming the fuel hose bulb. This will force extra fuel around the pump, directly into the 3 carbs. If the engine seems to run fine as long as you constantly prime the fuel hose bulbs, the pump may be weak. What procedure are using to choke the engine for cold start?

poundtowne

Cadet

I've tried manually pumping the priming ball and even sprayed starter fluid directly into the carbs and its a no go. Dies like its running out of fuel.

poundtowne

Cadet

I found a hole burnt in the voltage regulator so I replaced that and taped all wires around it. Checked magneto heads all were clean as Hell. Replaced a cracked incoming fuel line even though pressure read fine in all lines. Now when I go to start it fuel is leaking out of the exhaust cover. This thing is driving me crazy. Can anyone help me before I replace every single part in my engine individually? Still starts and runs for a couple minutes then acts like it runs out of fuel.

bakerjw

Petty Officer 1st Class

Primer selenoid is in proper position. I even tried disconnecting the power to it and turning it to manual position. No go.

IIRC the manual position allows gas into the carbs. You want it set to the regular position and power disconnected to stop it from supplying extra gas into the carburetors.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Are you sure you have fuel coming out of the exhaust cover? Maybe you mean you have fuel leaking out of the bypass covers....

choover852

Cadet

This sounds eerily similar to the problems I have with the same motor. I have done all the same steps as you have, even rebuilt the carbs. I ordered a voltage regulator yesterday and am hoping that will solve the problem. Are u having problems with the tach reading intermittently and trouble keeping the battery charged?

Rajun Cajun

Recruit
I have same problem with 1989 xp 150 hard to start but when it does can rev it up good put in gear and dies gonna replace choke solenoid I guess driving me crazy

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The fuel pump part of the VRO, check for leaking or cracked vacuum lines.

You said you tried using the primer bulb, but no difference. Does the bulb firm up when used to prime the carbs?

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have same problem with 1989 xp 150 hard to start but when it does can rev it up good put in gear and dies gonna replace choke solenoid I guess driving me crazy

Read the Help Tip on top of the page and start a new thread of your own. That's how we do it here.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.