60hp Johnson - no spark... wiring?

timlabute

Recruit
Hello all! I am really stuck here. I don't know much about outboards. I just got an old boat and it came with a motor that "runs". Tag on the motor says:
Model: VXL10S
Serial: C425586

No word on the year, but HP says 60. Cowl says Johnson Super Seahorse - "Electric". In fact it says Electric on three different badges. I guess that was an important word?

So, I got it home and found the wiring that comes from the motor was not connected to anything. I found a metal box in the boat that the plug coming from the motor plugged in to. The box contains a solenoid I imagine is for the starter.

So I ran hot to the solenoid, hooked the motor's starter wire to the other side of the solenoid.

Some google searching told me the other two smaller posts on the solenoid should be white wires, one to the ignition and one to somewhere on the motor. I found what I think are the correct wires and hooked them up.

Hit the "key" and the motor spins. Compression test is decent, but no spark at all from any of the 4 cylinders.

I have what I think is a Mag on top, and under it a points system? Plug wires come out the bottom near the back of the motor.

I pulled that cover off and found what I think is a coil. The coil has a red wire and a black wire. They both look very worn and may be damaged.

Can you tell me what to do next? I am lost now. The red wire went to the side of the "coil housing" and the black wire grounded inside...

timlabute

Recruit
Re: 60hp Johnson - no spark... wiring?

Hi all. Still stuck. I put the motor back together and no spark. What should I do next? Any help is truly appreciated.