97 evinrude 150 intruder stalling on idle , and on take off leans to the left .

chrislrod

Recruit
I need some help .... just bought this 97 stratos with a evinrude 150 intruder. when i checked it out the previous owner turned it on and it started up with no problems , sounded good and idled good . so i bought it took it out to the lake and tryed it out and it worked great when we drove it at full speed. we then stopped it and let it idle and and it started stalling and shutting off on us but if you keep giving it gas it wont shut off. it also smokes quite a bit when idling. we then ran it again for about 30 min down the lake and it has no problem running at full speed its just the idling part that keeps shutting it down . it seems like maybe it sat around too long maybe the old gas, or maybe a spark plug , but im a first time boat owner so idk .... please help !!!! oh and the boat leans to the left on take untill being trimmed up then it levels out what could be the cause of this also ?????:confused:

i just went outside to start the boat up a day later and it starts right up and idles well ... its not spitting or coughing either . what could be the problem ? hope to get some feed back soon ...:facepalm:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: 97 evinrude 150 intruder stalling on idle , and on take off leans to the left .

You could be onto something with the fuel but I suspect the carbs need a good cleaning, there are some good threads about how to do that best. If it were me, I would rebuild them after cleaning rather than take the chance and have to pull them off again.

I have seen the pull due to the prop rotation torque until like you say you trim the motor up which makes the steering not pull. Normally that's to the right (starboard). Not sure about not being an even keel and leaning left (port).

Maybe some of the big guns here will chime in on your problem as well.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: 97 evinrude 150 intruder stalling on idle , and on take off leans to the left .

Opps... a double post...