Patch, then rebuild next winter?

Windjamer

Cadet
My old faithful '72 Sportwin 9.5 ran like a champ through the 3 weeks of a perch derby in late April & early May. It then sat at my dock for a week, then wouldn't start.

I took it to the local dealer after the usual DIY attempts were unsuccessful and they reported that the coils were shot and compression was only 40 psi in one cylinder and 60 psi in the other: not worth fixing.

What I'm wondering is, if I fix the ignition issues, can the compression problem wait 'til next winter? I've worked on motors before, but am not well set up at this new home.

Advice greatly appreciated.

Rick.

Captain
Re: Patch, then rebuild next winter?

Coils are an easy fix. Hard to say on compression though. If you have worn rings and it will start , you can wait. However if you have broken rings it will continue to damage the cylinders which you want to avoid. Perhaps the damage has been done already. Not very encouraging am I? I would do my own compression test just to be sure. Best of luck. Rick.

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can fix the ignition easily, the compression numbers sound like you could have a blown head gasket. These are repairs you can do yourself and are not too expensive.

milliesdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if you just patch it up so it runs, you never will fix it right.

fix it right. the first time

pull the head, check for broken rings. if ok, then go thru ign system and carb, then do a sea foam decarb

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Change the coils and get ignition.

Don't start tearing anything apart until you have done a decarbon treatment. 60psi is normal for a pull start outboard. 40 psi is outside the 10% range but may be only stuck or carboned rings. After the decarb do a compression test again and let us know what you get.

Too many folks try or recommend major surgery when a good dose of routine maintenance is all that is really needed.

http://forums.iboats.com/engine-frequently-asked-questions-faq/decarbing-faq-158076.html

http://forums.iboats.com/engine-frequently-asked-questions-faq/compression-test-jb-391323.html

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Wise words spoken JB.

Plus I have not found even 2 different compression testers out of 5 that will give close even readings at times

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

These small pull start engines don't run a lot of compression anyways and if the pull isn't the same on each try it will change also.

Another thing you could do is test it then lay it down with the cylinders facing up and then drop a few small drops of oil in each one, let sit a few minutes then try the compression test again.

Windjamer

Cadet

Where's the best source of parts for this '72 9.5 hp Evinrude Sportwin? I'll start with coils, points, condensers and plug wires. The plugs appear to be like new.

While waiting for the parts, I'll decarbon, as JB advises.

Great forum! Thanks again. - GM

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Where's the best source of parts for this '72 9.5 hp Evinrude Sportwin? I'll start with coils, points, condensers and plug wires. The plugs appear to be like new.

While waiting for the parts, I'll decarbon, as JB advises.

Great forum! Thanks again. - GM

All available here....that's how and why iboats pays for the forum. :)

Windjamer

Cadet

Change the coils and get ignition.

Don't start tearing anything apart until you have done a decarbon treatment. 60psi is normal for a pull start outboard. 40 psi is outside the 10% range but may be only stuck or carboned rings. After the decarb do a compression test again and let us know what you get.

Too many folks try or recommend major surgery when a good dose of routine maintenance is all that is really needed.

http://forums.iboats.com/engine-frequently-asked-questions-faq/decarbing-faq-158076.html

http://forums.iboats.com/engine-frequently-asked-questions-faq/compression-test-jb-391323.html

JB, my engine is currently not running. Do I need to get it running to decarb? The article you pointed me to decarbs a running engine. Is that what you meant by change the coils and get ignition?"

Windjamer

Cadet

All available here....that's how and why iboats pays for the forum. :)

Unfortunately, OEM parts are less expensive at my local dealer and all in stock. The shipping and other fees from iBoat nearly doubled my bill.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Just be glad you got a good OEM dealer. Most people today don't have one. Not like the old days.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

JB, my engine is currently not running. Do I need to get it running to decarb? The article you pointed me to decarbs a running engine. Is that what you meant by change the coils and get ignition?"

Yes, windy. Change the coils to get her running, then do a decarb.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Just be glad you got a good OEM dealer. Most people today don't have one. Not like the old days.

I have great dealer nearby and if he doesn't have it he will 1st tell me which of the other 5 area dealers does have it. Then if noone does he will order it up and calls when it arrives. Great ol guy, hope to be able to do business with him for many years to come.

Windjamer

Cadet

What torque setting should I use when replacing the flywheel?

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer

Make sure you set up the timing right when you replace the points.

Windjamer

Cadet

Make sure you set up the timing right when you replace the points.

Hmm... I've only done this before with 4-cylinder, 4-stroke MG engines, i.e. one set of points & one coil. How do I get the timing right after setting the points gap for both points (new coils & condensers). Tight working area!

Windjamer

Cadet

When installing the new points, one of the copper retaining clips (secures the point set spring to the base) snapped off. New clips were not supplied with the new sets.

The points gapped properly and seem to operate normally without the clip. Does anyone know how necessary the clips are?