1973 4hp evinrude not get fuel to choke

Arykeion

Seaman Apprentice
1973 4hp evinrude not get fuel to choke it. Carbs are cleaned,fuel is filling up the carb bowl ,needle and seat is in perfect condition,float is level and floating like its suppose to. In having problem with it staying running. The long idle screw at the top of the carb I don't know how many turns I'm suppose to turn it. Also it was choking correctly and running until I took the top long idle screw out and checked the rings that was on it. It had a little white one on the front part of the idle screw about an inch from the pointed part of the idle screw that was it. I took it off and replaced 2 o or gasket rings on the back part of it at the end of the threads so it wouldn't get thread when I put it in. I put the 2 rings on it from what it said on the diagram. Every sense then I'm not getting any fuel when I choke it. I poored gas in the carb it will run for 10 seconds and cut off like its not getting any fuel at idle or maybe getting too much air. I tried all kinds of adjustments like the manual said and its doing the same thing. Please help. Thanks.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973 4hp evinrude not get fuel to choke

(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs)
(J. Reeves)

Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Setting the high and low needle valves properly:

NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle valve adjustment.

(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, waiting for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting.

(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Arykeion

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1973 4hp evinrude not get fuel to choke

Thanks a lot. Every sense I removed the top needle from the top part of the carb,I removed a plastic peice from the front part of the needle. I don't know if that was a seal for air or not but I can't get fuel from choking it and if I poor gas in it it will run for 5 seconds and die. It doesn't have any gears in that motor. I guess having the wrong settings will also cause it not to get fuel while your choking it? I will try what u said but I c
Can't even get it to run for at least a min to even do the settings. Thanks a lot. But could u please tell me why I wouldn't be getting fuel in the carb from choking it. Gas is getting in the carb bowl and the carb is very clean the needle and seat or good and not getting stuck.