Newbie - Have a 1956 Johnson 30 HP RD 18, My First Vintage Motor, and it runs, sorta

Status
Not open for further replies.

westkane

Recruit
I am looking at repairing/restoring this for a friend, and have not really worked with boat motors, Usually I stick with land based creatures. Any ideas where I can get matching paint for it? How about recomendations for service mauals, tips, tricks of the trade, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions, ideas, etc as I start on this journey. As a side note, is there much monetary value in a good working motor of this sort? (It does not have the remote stear gear with it). I would appreciate any links, thoughts, ideas on who, what where etc as I move forward. You guys are the experts, and I don't want to rebuild the wheel as you'all have struggled through your issues, so if you would be willing to share your expertise/knowledge, etc, I'd greatly appreciate it.
My friend says that I can keep half of the proceeds as money towards a mission trip to Puebla Mexico this upcoming year, so that was awfully gracious of him. I skipped our churches annual mission trip to Mexico last year and went on a mission trip to Rwanda. Words will never describe, it was the experience of a lifetime and I look forward to it again in a couple of years. So many people in this world need some help, and I am greatfull to God that he allows me to serve him part of the time by going on missions..... Sorry for being long winded, but thank you and God Bless all of you.

Roberthill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Newbie - Have a 1956 Johnson 30 HP RD 18, My First Vintage Motor, and it runs, so

Boatinfo - 1922-1964 Johnson Service Manual Here is a service manual . Just finished a 1957 35 hp .Started with 2 motors but ended with one running .

SEEK AND YOU SHALL FIND
KNOCK AND IT SHALL BE OPENED UNTO YOU
ASK AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE .
That had nothing to do with outboard motors but something more precious .

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Newbie - Have a 1956 Johnson 30 HP RD 18, My First Vintage Motor, and it runs, so

Here is where I get my paint and decals from

Antique and Classic Outboard Motor Paint & Decals

Specific questions as you go may be easier. Writing tips for a whole restoration will take tooo long, and my fingers get tired ;)

Check compression first. Dont want to put money into something that will never run. Keep us updated.

PS there is not a whole lot of money to be made doing this. Once you add up all your hours invested, it works out to pennies. I do it because it is what I love to do. I probably make about a buck an hour and/or break even, but I dont do it for the money.

89Aluma

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I haven't updated this in a while, but this thing is still just stubborn to get stated I did some research and the "packing" for the cab needles is missing could this be part of my hard to start issue?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I doubt the packing is an issue.-----------Hard to start is usually a spark problem.-------Does spark jump a gap of 1/4" or more ?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I haven't updated this in a while, but this thing is still just stubborn to get stated I did some research and the "packing" for the cab needles is missing could this be part of my hard to start issue?

How can you update a thread belonging to another member? :confused:

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.