89 Evinrude Tracker compression

MTBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have 1989 Johnson 90HP Tracker Pro Series.

I did a compression check today, although it had not been started since last summer, and the motor is new to me.

The numbers came out all around 75+/- a few lbs on all four.

Its a little cold blooded, but once warmed up runs well and starts right up......I sprayed Evinrude Tuner spray into the intakes for a bit and it was putting out a ton of smoke and still seemed to after I was done for some time, so I shut it down for now.

I am wondering if anyone can comment on an assessment of this motor and what else I can do or not.

Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 89 Evinrude Tracker compression

If you're using the Evinrude engine tuner, follow the directions on the can to a " T". I've used it for yrs and had good luck with it.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

100 Is considered the ideal minimum.
If it has stuck rings the tuner or something like Sea Foam
may free them up follow the instructions.
Smoking isn't related to the rings like a four stroke can be.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Do another compression test after the Engine Tuner and see if it came up any. It's good stuff

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I would also suggest trying another gage. Some are better than others and will seldom see two that read the same.

Test again and post the results with what you did. Will be interesting to see

MTBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for ideas and info, and the gauge test.

I observed that the VRO was acting intermittently, and with the age decided to disconnect. Then I ran the motor for quite some time on a mix 50/1 and then sprayed the Evinrude engine tuner according to instructions.

After, I retested the compression with a NEW and different tester, though still about $30+ from OReilly's. 105+/- on all cylinders Then I tried the cheaper tester and it came up at about 75+/- on all.

So threw that cheaper ($20 on sale from one of those discounters) tester back, and the better one is a keeper.

I felt the tuneup did bring the pressure up about 5 real lbs per cylinder from the day before.

Wonder what a good snapon tester might produce?

Wonder what a good snapon tester might produce?

Don't worry about it. You've now got a baseline to go from, if you're engine ever starts to act up you can measure it again with that same tester and see if anything has changed.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Sounds like great results now go play outside!