1975 85 Evinrude Compression Test Jumper question

Besegen

Seaman
I have been trying to do a compression test. What I've read says to use a jumper wire or remote switch between the battery positive terminal and the solenoid voltage "in" cable terminal to crank it. Is this correct? I have a remote switch I have been trying to use to do this but when I press it the drive gear spins but will not raise up to the flywheel. It bounces up slightly and drops back right when I press it then just sits and spins at the bottom. I assume this means its not getting enough power.

Maybe I'm wrong, never done a compression test before, but I assume the flywheel has to be turning to for the motor to actually be turning over and build compression. It works fine when I use the key switch, just not with the remote switch...at least not with it hooked up this way. I fully charged the battery before trying and measure 13.14 volts across it. Am I misreading something? Missing something? Completely off base somewhere?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1975 85 Evinrude Compression Test Jumper question

The jumper is to replace the voltage from the start switch, Besegen. Just a short one from the battery + connection on the solenoid to the small terminal that connects to the start switch. Sounds like you jumped battery + at the battery to battery + on the solenoid.

You can use the key switch if you have a helper at the helm and the ignition disabled with the emergency kill lanyard. The idea is to operate the starter with the ignition disabled.

This is a procedure that works in case you are doing it a bit diffrently. http://forums.iboats.com/engine-frequently-asked-questions-faq/compression-test-jb-391323.html

Besegen

Seaman
Re: 1975 85 Evinrude Compression Test Jumper question

Yes that is the mistake I was making, thank you. I must have been reading on a different motor or a post that was wrong...or maybe flat bout misunderstood.