'81 Johnson 9.9 Recoil Keeps Locking

Big Jay

Petty Officer 1st Class
Model is J10RCID. Every time (or almost) I go to pull the cord, it is locked. It started slowly, I used to be able to adjust the throttle a bit and it would release for me and it would start. Now I have to remove the cover and hold back the red piece in the pic.

Is there a quick fix for this? DSCN0689.jpg

Thanks for any help in this matter.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: '81 Johnson 9.9 Recoil Keeps Locking

There is a neutral safety switch interlock on that motor that prevents it from starting in any gear other than neutral. That red lever is the interlock that is activated by the shifting lever.

Big Jay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, so the red lever isn't the issue.... It's the safety switch, how do I fix this, is it a part that needs replacing?

How expensive are they?

Big Jay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, I've found the part in a parts catalog, and it's $70:cold: ! Is there a way to adjust it or is it just pretty much time to replace it?

Also, is there a way to bypass it, maybe by removing / altering the red lever? I know this is likely a bad idea from a safety point of view, but I can't part with any money right now and need to get back on the water....

Thanks again guys, this site has been an invaluable source of information and experience.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That motor is designed so it will not start unless it is shifted into neutral each time you try to start it. This is there for safety reasons so you do not start it in gear, which may cause you to run over someone. Liability reasons unless you are a lawyer.

However to deactivate it, just remove the red lever & spring.

Rick.

Captain

Just to be clear, the lock is mechanical. It prevents the recoil from turning. Make sure you are in neutral and if that doesn't free it up let the throttle off a little and it should allow you to pull the recoil. Best of luck. Rick.

Big Jay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya, it used to work when I fiddled with the throttle... but no more, now I need to pull off the engine cover and try using a finger while pulling lol.

Thanks for the replies guys... Once it stops raining here I'll have a close look first but, I may just need to remove it.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

That little spring tang with the loop on the end should be on the OUTSIDE of the vertical arm part of the recoil casing. That's what puts tension on the red lever.

AlTn

Commander

+1 with Chine..kind of a pita to keep the red lever on one side and that spring tine on the other side of that vertical shaft when reinstalling that starter

Big Jay

Petty Officer 1st Class

So the spring wasn't holding the red lever back as it should! Ok, I moved the spring to the outside of that arm and it seems to be working as it should, I think it's fixed!!

Phew!

Once again you guys have saved me a lot of grief :joyous:

Can't thank you guys enough

raczekp1

Lieutenant

i had 3 9.9 motors ai removed in this motors this intrelock mechanism
i should remember not to pull starter rope when motor is runing