Tach stops working on '96 Johnson 112

jbacc11

Cadet
I have the following boat:
'96 Larson Flyer 166
'96 Johnson 112 V4 SPL Outboard
Faria 4" Dress White Series Tach/System Check, 7,000 RPM

When I start the boat the tach works while I am idling but when I throttle up the needle drops to zero and stops working.
Over the winter I sent the old tach in to Faria, as they have a lifetime warranty, and they sent me a new one so I don't think it is the tach. The new one does the same thing the old one did. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

20130522_110533.jpg20130522_110613.jpg

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tach stops working on '96 Johnson 112

Test the rectifier first, there's a sticky at the top of this section with procedure. Had the old tach been working OK before this problem or is it a recent tach install on this motor with this problem from the start?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like a bad rectifier or stator.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I've seen all sorts of tach running issues, including what you experienced. A new rectifier has cured the issue in nearly all cases.

snookhooked

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the same problem as well on a 1992 evinrude 150hp. Im having a issue now that I cant get an answer on here but was told that most likely my rectifier is bad. not charging batteries and since I charged them I haven't notice and drop in change other than a very small amount because my radio is using some for the memory deal. I checked both the purple and gray wire and the only time it shows anything is when I turn the ignition is turned on and the purple wire will show power. I worked out a deal so that I can get a new one for cabinet trade.lol crossing fingers that it fixes the charging issue as well as my tack issue.

jbacc11

Cadet

Nope, the old tach did the same thing. I bought the boat at the beginning of last year and it had the problem then. I just put up with it last year but I don't like things are on the boat not working. It cheapens it. I'm not sure what you mean "there is a sticky at the top of this section". Thanks for the advice.

..... I'm not sure what you mean "there is a sticky at the top of this section"....

When you first go to iboats.com and then you click on "boating forums" you get a list of all the discussion areas. The information you want is actually under the "Engine Frequently Asked Questions" section.

And yes, your problem sounds like a bad rectifier (but you should definitely test it to verify that before running out and buying a new one).

[h=2][/h]

snookhooked

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im in the same boat as him but how do you check the rectifier? you could knock out two birds with one stone on this thread.lol jbacc11, did your still charge while this was going on and did it stop charging also? it seem like it was charging fine on mine and I just gave up after changing mine as well with a new one.

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go to "Engine Frequently Asked Questions FAQs" section of this forum. Scroll down to "Small Rectifier Test by Joe Reeves". You will need an ohm meter. The test is very easy to do.

jbacc11

Cadet

I tested the rectifier using Joe Reeves test plan and it works fine. Thank you kjdunne for that tip. That write up was really easy to follow and complete. Any other suggestions on what to check next? Thanks for all your help.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The stator. That's where the pulse current comes from.