Johnson primer solenoid

Montezumasdaddy

Recruit
I?ve got a 1997 Johnson 25 hp outboard that I took over when my Father passed away last year. We used the boat together often and he always maintained it and did all the work on it. He was a certified marine mechanic so I never really questioned what he did to the boat or motor. The primer never worked and he told me why but I can?t remember but I?m pretty sure he said the solenoid was no good. I would like to get the primer working again but right now I can?t afford to put a new solenoid in. I?ve learned a lot about it reading on here and it from what I gather it sounds like if I put the solenoid in the manual position and squeeze the primer bulb it should shoot gas in just behind the carb. Well we took the hose off yesterday that goes from the solenoid to the carb and squeezed the bulb and sure enough gas came out so we assumed we would be good to go with it like that for now. Well when we hooked it back up the pressure would build up in the line but the gas wouldn?t squirt in behind the carb. Can I assume that this is plugged right where it goes in behind the carb or is there another reason for this to not allow gas through to the carb (just behind the carb actually)? Thanks for any input.

Rick.

Captain
Re: Johnson primer solenoid

The primer solenoid releases (primes) when you push your key in while in the run position. You should be able to hear it click if it is working. Best of luck. Rick.

Montezumasdaddy

Recruit

Thanks for the reply Rick. I?m pretty sure the solenoid is not working. My question is, if I switch the solenoid to the manual position should it squirt gas into the carb just by squeezing the primer bulb? When we took the line off the carb and squeezed it gas shot out but when we hooked it back up it doesn?t seem like tha gas it getting into the carb. From what I gathered reading on here it should so I?m wondering if maybe something is plugged. Thanks again.

Rick.

Captain

Sorry for not getting your question the first time. Yes it should deliver fuel when pumped so perhaps you have a clogged port. Rick.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The port is clogged. Take a packing slip wire and run through it. If that doesn't work, run a very small drill bit through it. Some of them came from the factory that way and there may be nothing wrong with your primer.