1964 Evinrude 5.5 Fisherman lower unit re-seal instructions needed

pinkt

Recruit
I just got this motor and she purrs like a kitten. I did replace the impeller and it's pumping water good now. I changed the lower unit lube with some standard mercury lower unit lube I had, After the maiden voyage, I pulled the vent plug to check level...nothing came out. So, I pulled the drain plug and frothy / milk shake oil came out. So, I think I may be in for the re-seal procedure...any instructions out there? I might try to limp it along 'till winter just by changing after each outing if that would be ok. Any advice would be appreciated - thanks.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1964 Evinrude 5.5 Fisherman lower unit re-seal instructions needed

Did you replace the crush washers when you did the oil? If not, change them with the oil and test again.

If you did, a reseal is not an overly complicated job. We can talk you through it.

pinkt

Recruit
Re: 1964 Evinrude 5.5 Fisherman lower unit re-seal instructions needed

Did you replace the crush washers when you did the oil? If not, change them with the oil and test again.

If you did, a reseal is not an overly complicated job. We can talk you through it.

I did that tonight - probably take it out this weekend - I'll keep you posted - thanks.