1956 30hp johnson rd 18 E convert to single line tank

CStrass

Cadet
Hello All-

Ive Recently got this from my God Mother when my God Father passed away- didnt know untill i got it home and cleaned it up a bit that my old gas tank didnt fit :S..

ive never done anything like this before, i like to think im more of a techy guy then a motor head.. but the threads ive read and videos ive watched on this people say its rather easy to convert it to single hose rather than find the 2 hose compression tanks for 100+$ online.

But as i said i am more techy then motor head, id like to think i can follow directions well, and that feeling of accomplishment i think goes for anyone when they finish something and it actually works is a great feeling :D

There are a couple questions that i have such as:

-what kind of fuel pump is the easiest to get and install for this job, ive seen ppl post about the Mikuni fuel pump, and seen others post about briggs and stratton fuel pump kit 07-700.

-on picture #3 & 4 it looks as if there is a weld that looks like either it was broken/cracked and fixed.. should i be worried?

-On picture #4 you can see the clasp was broken and a new one was added, if i need a new hood for this are they easily found or can i just get a original-like clasp to make it work like before

i think as of right now thats all the questions i have, im sure there will be more :S any other info that is needed just ask.

Electric start, model rd18e, ser. 1409849

thanks in advance- Chad

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 0

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1956 30hp johnson rd 18 E convert to single line tank

Interesting paint job someone did! :)

I have never seen an exhaust housing break like that. Strange, but if the weld is holding and you arent worried about the cosmetics forget about it, should be fine.

Remounting an original clasp would depend on how the fix one is mounted. If they bored the holes bigger or not, or added holes, etc.. The clasps are easy enough to get. Post a wanted ad at aomci.org in the webvertize. PM me if you cannot find one.

The pump will have to handle the fuel flow at WOT. Be careful with the smaller pumps. I use them on the small hp motors, but with a 30hp you may not want to use a BS style.

nwcove

Admiral

cant quite remember, but i think i saw an omc pump in another thread that had the pulse barb? hopefully someone will chime in with a part # ,or will a bypass cover from a later model fit the 56?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You can use an 18-7353 pump from here at iboats. It has a pulse hose barb. See those round holes in your bypass covers? Tap 1/8" pipe threads in one of them, drill it through, and install a hose barb which you will connect to the pulse hole on the pump. Connect the other two hoses and you are set to go. Well after you design some clever way to mount the pump that is.

nwcove

Admiral

its also essential to do a proper compression test before you spend any $$. post back with numbers.

CStrass

Cadet

so i have a compression tester from Orielys auto- (30$ refundable 100% within 2 days) but when i hook it up i dont seem to be getting the needle to move at all. ive tried first with both plugs out, then with just one. when i hold my finger over the plug hole it seems to push my finger away then suck it in.. am i doing something wrong? plz help :D

nwcove

Admiral

do you have a lawnmower or other small engine that you can try the tester on???? test with both plugs out and either give it a couple of seconds on the electric starter, or pull it like you hate it until the guage stops going up.

CStrass

Cadet

So... I Hooked up the tester to my lawnmower and that didnt move the needle off of 0 either. i called oreileys and they said they didnt know why, i brought it back in and they said they would order a new kit have it around wed. as the lady was doing that another guy came up from back and said "o is that the one where the fitting fell off?" apparently the pin broke of or something and fell into his motor he was trying to check compression on.. so they ordered a new hose to put on the compression tool... but apparently the whole thing doesn't work..

Either way, i put on my little bit newer 1975 20 hp Chrysler motor to get me through the holiday weekend until i can check the compression and start the build of fuel pump on the 1956 30hp Johnson.

Thats all for now-