Reassembly 1977 evinrude 15hp gearcase

aod231

Recruit
Alright, I have a fairly decent mechanical background. I have fixed everything from airplane motors to snowmobiles and dirtbikes. Basically if it has a motor I have fixed it. But I have yet to really work on a boat motor inboard or outboard. I have fixed the recoils on them but thats about it.

The outboard I'm working on is a 1977 Evinrude 15hp model 15704m. It's my brothers motor and I told him I would fix it and in return he is going to give me a pressure washer. Not a bad gig.

He tore it apart a year ago because the detent spring broke. So he ordered one and "attempted" to reassemble everything back together. Obviously that didn't work for him.

Here is my issue. I figured out how everything goes back together from looking at the part fiche from iboat. So I know everything is there and in the right order. My issue is that the forward gear is out of alignment. If you see the photos attached, hopefully you will see that there is a lot of space at the top of the gear and non at the bottom. I have put it in gear and attempted to get it to line up with and without the prop shaft. I also was going nuts so I brought out my redneck tool of the day, plastic mallet and pounded the prop shaft in. Ya, that didn't work out. The prop shaft went in crooked, I'm assuming the final bearing got pushed out of place and thats why it was crooked.

I took it all apart for the 10 or 20th time and made sure that nothing got damaged in my moment of frustration. Nothing did. But after reassembly I find myself in the same spot all over again. I cannot get the forward gear in place. The way it looks to me is the forward gear is at a slant slightly and the rear or final bearing is in it's proper place from what I can tell.

Any tricks,tips or some special tool I don't have?

I do know how to handle the detent spring and bearings. I don't have the tool to do it, I use electrical tape. It works way better then the tool to do it. Just put the spring and bearings in and tape it together so it's all in place. Then push the prop shaft in, the tape should slide up as you push it in. Once its done you have the fun task of pulling it out, vise grip or a really long good pair of needle nose does the job nicely. It's generally not too bad unless the teeth on your needle nose as bad. Take your time with it and its easy. Rip it off fast and have fun picking up pieces of tape.

IMAG0424.jpgIMAG0426.jpg

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Reassembly 1977 evinrude 15hp gearcase

I'd say the front shaft bearing is not seated straight, It's been a while since the last time I did a lower on one of these but if my old memory serves me, things should just drop in there place, I would pull the fwrd bearing & clean the housing real well and inspect it along with the roundness of the bearing.

AlTn

Commander

google..leeroysramblings.com..9.9/15 hp maintenance and repair...study the part on lower units/gearboxes..seems he gives instruction on making a "tool" to locate the shift yoke when inserting the bearing and fwd gear...may give you an idea or two

aod231

Recruit

Thank you both!

AITn that site you recommend was perfect! The tool was unneeded. But it did resolve what I was doing wrong.

The issue was the prop shaft gear washer order. I had the washers in the order of large washer, bearing, small washer.
When it is suppose to be the other way around, small washer, bearing, large washer.

I swore I tried this but I guess I didn't. When I read his how to, I figured it out. Funny thing is the parts fiche shows it the other way which is why I did it that way. At least it looks like its the wrong way in the parts fiche. Never the less it is together thanks to you both. Now I can go mess with my new pressure washer and my brother is happy with his outboard!