1975 Johnson Javelin Shifting problems

kyle.hand

Recruit
I recently got access to a 1976 Ranger with an 85HP 1975 Johnson Javelin motor. I have yet to take the boat out but I am trying to work out some kinks.

I began by replacing the impeller in the LU. After reassembling I went to start it up. I had the LU in a large trashcan filled up with water. I double checked that the control on the "Command Center" was in neutral. When I fired up the motor it shot about 35 gallons of water straight out of the can and cut the can. So obviously the shift linkage is out of adjustment. I have disconnected the linkage, manually placed the motor in neutral, put the control in neutral and adjusted the cable. I have been testing it all morning and i cant seem to get it right.

With the control in neutral i shift it forward and the prop engages (testing it by just turning the prop by hand). From the forward position I move the control into neutral, the prop now free spins. From here i move the control into reverse and the prop again engages. However when I move from Reverse to Neutral the prop does not disengage (freespin) when I move the control into the neutral position. If i move the control past the neutral position (Approx 1 inch) the prop will then free spin.

I did notice some play in the shift linkage that the cable attaches to. Could this be the problem? If needed I can make a video of the "play".