How to change fuel filter in a 1954 Evinrude Fleetwin

mew

Cadet
My Fleetwin 7.5 HP motor ran fine for one day after I had the carburetor adjusted by a professional, but the next day I took it out and it ran great for about 10 minutes. Now it runs, but only very slowly. It gets a little better if I increase the richness of the high speed knob, but that doesn't really fix it all the way. I'm thinking that the old fuel line in the gas tank that I bought started disintegrating and has clogged the fuel filter in the carburetor. So does anyone know if it's pretty easy to replace the fuel filter in this motor? Maybe you could direct me to a website that says how to do it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to change fuel filter in a 1954 Evinrude Fleetwin

Simply adjusted by a mechanic, or cleaned and rebuilt? If cleaned, he should have cleaned the filter while at it.

It is in the glass bowl. Unscrew the dial ccw, pull to the side, remove the glass carefully,unscrew filter holder, the pull out filter. Soak then blow with compressed air from the inside out.

I would do a full carb clean/rebuild if it hasnt been done, and change out the fuel lines.

On another note, what is the compression? Have you checked the ignition? Coils replaced? Good spark to both cylinders?

mew

Cadet

The mechanic just adjusted the carb; he did not rebuild it. Since it ran so great for a day I was hoping it didn't need to be rebuilt. The compression is 85ish in one cylinder and 90 in the other. I was told that coils have been replaced and the mechanic checked the spark and it was good. The carburetor gaskets look new, so it may have been rebuilt recently, but then again maybe not. I have not rebuilt a carburetor before and I'm wary because there are so many tiny parts to misplace or put back wrong. Thanks for help! I think I will see if the filter is clogged up first and see what to do from there.

tjhamms

Seaman Apprentice

Those stone filters can clog in seconds. If you are running the older pressurized gas tank, make sure it is not leaking anywhere. Also check to make sure the high speed and low speed packing nuts are snug,they can vibrate loose. That compression is great for a 1954. As High Trim said you should clean that carb.

lindy46

Captain

If it's not getting up to speed, you may have a coil cutting out, causing it to be running on one cylinder. It may idle fine (on one cylinder), and sometimes an older coil will misfire once it warms up.

Take the filter out of the bowl temporarily and see if it runs normal. If it does, that's your problem.

mew

Cadet

Okay, I'll take the filter out and see how she runs. I may install an inline filter on the gas tank fuel line first just in case. I don't want any junk to make it into the carburetor. I'll report back later.

mew

Cadet

Well, I started working on the motor today. I fired it up to get a baseline to compare against when I take the fuel filter out. It ran great. I let it warm up for a while (10 - 15 minutes) and cranked it up to WOT in gear and there was not a problem. This leads me to believe that it's not a fuel filter issue, because if it were, it would run poorly all the time. What could cause an intermittent issue like this?

nwcove

Admiral

re-read hightrims post, its a virtual must to rebuild the carb and do a complete inspection of the ignition system. dont get overwhelmed with thinking the carb has many tiny , complex parts, it doesnt! that carb is as easy as it comes to properly clean and re-kit. the ignition system is also as basic as they get.