Johnson 90 coil wiring question.......

rscotth

Cadet
Hello- I tried to search this question to no avail.

My question is in regards to a 1982 Johnson 90 "TLCNB" which I ordered coils for. I ordered these referenced from an ignition schematic that mentioned 582106 which i ordered 4 of the latest part number (i think) 584561 for this engine. Once I got back home I noticed that the coils that are on the engine appear to be two different types of coils. The lower coils have two wires and the upper coils use one wire and from a separate post?

The replacement coils utilize the two wire design so I was wondering if it would be ok to use the two wire coils for the upper cylinder coils and have the second wire go to ground like the lower coils without any issues? Is this oem configuration since it does not appear in the schematic for this engine.
Thanks
RSH
IMG_3960.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 90 coil wiring question.......

The second wire is black and goes to ground. The coils with only one wire on them have a tab on the coil for ground. Make sure all surfaces are good and clean when installing. OMC did change them.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

You can put any of those coils on whatever cylinder you so desire. The two wire coils use one of the wires for grounding purposes. The one wire coil grounds via the retaining bolt and the metal plate covering the coil retaining hole... grounds directly to the block. It's a good idea when using the self grounding coils to make sure the block is clean metal in the bolting area for grounding purposes.

rscotth

Cadet

Thank you for your time and patience.......