How to test the power pack?

excalius

Cadet
Good afternoon,

I'm troubleshooting an ignition issue and the stator and timer are good as per the ohms and voltage output. Now I want to move up the power pack but can't figure out how to test the voltage. I have a peak voltage adapter but it says 0 volt all the time. Tried DC and AC but no voltage.

I read multiple CDI and my Seloc book and they mention to leave the orange cables to the ignition coil but I'm not sure how to test it with the orange wires still on the ignition coil. Tried to stab the probe inside and the other to engine ground, still says 0 volt. And just before anybody ask the kill switch wire is unplugged from the power pack and my issue is that I have no sparks on any spark plugs.

Please help. I've been trying to troubleshoot this for the past week.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How to test the power pack?

buy a new one

excalius

Cadet

Yeah that would be the easier thing to do but @ $150-175 I want to be sure before forking that money. Already spent money on a stator and a rectifier cause they were bad.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

a friendly mechanic may lend you a used one for testing off a parts motor, or let you test one and bring it back--ask. that's what I did.

also to be clear--are you testing with your kill switch "killed" or bypassed? the kill switch kills spark.

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

the capacitor inside the power pack is a Nichon 1.0mfd CK 630W.V DC as the rpm increases so does the AC voltage coming from stator to capacitor so it is difficult to pin point an exact voltage reading due to different rpm,s

excalius

Cadet

I'm testing it with the kill switch wire removed from the power pack.

durban

the AC power coming from stator into power pack has got + & - the one wire coming from power pack going to coil is a + if your - on the power pack is not making proper contact with the body of the motor you will get no spark or reading as the power pack converts the AC power to DC , + to - the coil then boosts the + current the spark plug being the + & motor the negative this then completes the circuit

excalius

Cadet

Alright I'll double check that the power pack is properly grounded to the motor. Once I do that, I might test the igntion coil to rule that out also.

kodibass

Yep' just had a 15 rude here last week no spark at all, removed the coils / pack cleaned all the bosses & mounting surfaces, wire connections put all parts back in place and nice blue hot spark both cylinders. Anytime a motor has ignition/spark troubles its the first thing I do. and more often then not the only repair needed.

excalius

Cadet

I will definitely try that and see how it works. Beats buying a new power pack which goes for $150 or more. Do you use something specific to clean the contacts or just a brass brush or something works?

kodibass

just a wire brush & a bit of emery cloth, I spray all the connectors with QD electrical contact cleaner, after I brush things I blow the area with compressed air.

excalius

Cadet

So I cleaned all of the grounds, inspected the power pack, ignition coil, stator and trigger put everything back and still no spark.

Tested the voltage and resistance of the stator and trigger, both are good. Now I tried to test the voltage of the power back by inserted the red lead of the peak adapter to the orange and the black to the engine ground and I was only getting 5 or 50 volts don't remember when the stator was outputing 180. I think my power pack is done to be honest. Going to order one I guess, unless someone has another suggestion what it could be.

kodibass

only thing I can suggest at this point is to go to the CDI website and go over their trouble shooting procedure & make sure the ohms & volts are in spec. It should confirm your test #s.. then most likely time to spend the $.

excalius

Cadet

Well according to Cdi the ohms and voltage of both the stator and trigger base are all in the normal ranges. I ordered my power pack today we will see what happens. Ill let you guys know.

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well according to Cdi the ohms and voltage of both the stator and trigger base are all in the normal ranges. I ordered my power pack today we will see what happens. Ill let you guys know.

Where did you buy your power pack from?

Dukemeister

Cadet

I'm going down the same river (or up it without paddle..:facepalm:), so did the new power pack work out or not for you?

excalius

Cadet

Yeah the new power pack worked great. No issues since. Starts like a charm

Jshall8hp

Recruit
Old thread I know. I've been on the cdi site but I can't find anything on how tho get any specs of any kind. I have Evinrude e8rere tiller pull start. Trying to see how to ohm my powerpack