1991 johnson 30 hp trying to disconnect shift linkage to remove lower unit

dman727

Recruit
I am trying to check out my water pump but i can only get the lower unit to drop about 1/2". When I move the shift lever it moves the lower unit up and down, so I know I have to disconnect the shift linkage but cannot find where. I have read several posts and watched videos but can't relate to my motor. The shift linkage runs along the starboard side of the engine and down through the lower engine cover. I don't see any nut or pin under carb. or in the engine compartment that would release the linkage. It seems like it should be easy to do, but I just need some experienced advice on where to look or what to do. My motor model number is J30RLEIC. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: 1991 johnson 30 hp trying to disconnect shift linkage to remove lower unit

Not familiar with your motor but if the is no disconnect under the carbs have you looked in the space where lower is dropped to see if there is a shift connector in there? Hopefully the gurus will reply to your thread and give you expert advice. Good luck.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The disconnect is behind the intake grate in the lower unit. Remove grate. Undo the jam nut from the shift rod And they should come apart. Remove the small plastic split cone piece from the groove in the upper shaft before removing unit.

dman727

Recruit

Ok i got the lower unit off but i had to remove the water pump bolts and the drive shaft came out of the lower unit. i cant get the top nut from the shift linkage off the rod which wont allow my water pumo to slide off. Any ideas on next step.

dman727

Recruit

Ok i figured out what you were talking about when you were describing the split plastic piece in the top part of linkage. should i replace the mechanical seal since the drive shaft pulled right out of the lower unit or is that ok?

jasper60103

Commander

Ok i figured out what you were talking about when you were describing the split plastic piece in the top part of linkage. should i replace the mechanical seal since the drive shaft pulled right out of the lower unit or is that ok?

The drive shaft sometimes pulls out when dropping the LU. The seal should be OK. Just reinsert the drive shaft.

Diver Dad

Recruit

The drive shaft sometimes pulls out when dropping the LU. The seal should be OK. Just reinsert the drive shaft.

Hello fellas....I'm doing same project on 30 hp 1996 johnson. I can't figure "small plastic split cone piece from the groove in the upper shaft...before removing nut" Where is this???? Thank You.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Is the drive shaft still stuck in the power head or is it out ??

Diver Dad

Recruit

Is the drive shaft still stuck in the power head or is it out ??

The drive shaft is completely free. I have lower unit dropped to about 7-8". The jamnut on lower end is disconnected and waterpump housing bolts are off. The unit slides, but is hitting top of jam nut....does this nut have to come off (down)???

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Could you post a pic of what you're talking about ??

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Yes. The plastic cone bit under the nut is split on one side and will pry off. Then the nut comes off. Take note of orientation of the plastic cone.