87 50hp Johnson VRO and fuel pump

Jpain

Recruit
I recently purchased a 87 50 hp Johnson, it seems to run fine at the house. When I put it in the water it idles low and when taking off shuts off. Once I get it going and up to speed after a few mins, it starts losing speed and I have to keep priming the fuel line to keep it running at full speed. I have taken the carbs apart twice made sure everything is clean. It appears that they have taken the fuel pump off and just replaced it with a inline fuel filter. Could not having a fuel pump be part of the problem? I can't find very good picture online and was wondering if someone could post pictures off how the fuel pump is supposed to look on and what fuel lines go where? Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 87 50hp Johnson VRO and fuel pump

If it runs fine at the house, you must have a fuel pump. Better look again.

Jpain

Recruit

I feel pretty confident I don't have a fuel pump. The fuel line hooks up to the motor and that line goes to an after market fuel filter and that line goes directly to the bottom of the VRO pump. My question is when I put a fuel pump on there how does it hook up because the parts diagram is a little unclear as to which lines go where. If someone has an actual picture of a motor that is set up properly would help. Thanks

Fed

Commander

The vro pump is also a fuel pump.

Jpain

Recruit

So if the VRO is also a fuel pump do I not need the part that is actually called a fuel pump or is the VRO bad as well.

Jpain

Recruit

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be he cause for the motor to die when going in to forward and reverse? It does fine if you give it full throttle but will die if I try to go slow.