No reverse lock on Johnson 55 HP 55EL77D

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I've looked over the entire assembly for damage and there is none. The assembly moves freely and can be pushed into place by hand with a little effort. For the life of me can't see why the reverse lock hooks won't go down far enough to latch on the thrust bar when under power. I can't figure out how shifting into reverse even moves the reverse lock assembly down and forward to latch onto the thrust bar. Testing it while not running by putting the motor in reverse does nothing. I know I must be missing something but even after looking at diagrams, I have no idea. Yes the tilt lock is in the run position and none of the springs are broken.

Any input from those in the know would be greatly appreciated!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: No reverse lock on Johnson 55 HP 55EL77D

I've looked over the entire assembly for damage and there is none. The assembly moves freely and can be pushed into place by hand with a little effort. For the life of me can't see why the reverse lock hooks won't go down far enough to latch on the thrust bar when under power. I can't figure out how shifting into reverse even moves the reverse lock assembly down and forward to latch onto the thrust bar. Testing in while not running by putting the motor in reverse does nothing. I know I must be missing something but even after looking at diagrams, I have no idea. Yes the tilt lock is in the run position and none of the springs are broken.

Any input from those in the know would be greatly appreciated!

What year engine is this...? I have a 1976 Johnson 40 HP and it is probably the exact same setup. There is no reverse lockout. I have a little plate-like lever you can push and lock to lock the hooks over the lower rod, but that would be a bad idea when running WOT and maybe hit a log or such while locked up. So I decided to just allow the engine to swing up if it hits something and go very slow in reverse to keep the engine from swinging up while in reverse. You should have a friction adjustment for how much effort it takes to lift the engine (tilt it). So you could tighten that adjustment a little tighter to help out while in reverse. Just go in reverse slowly...should work. Also could you take a few pictures of your engine in that area to include the lever and spring under the front. I am reassembling that right now and can't remember how those parts are placed. And while I do have the factory shop manual, it doesn't even show any of those pictures or adjustments...go figure... The area I am talking about is just under the front of the engine where the tilt pivot main bolt goes through and there is a lever and a spring that fits on that bolt. I need that view. Thanks, you can even PM me if you like... :embarassed:

Watermann

The engine is a 1977. I don't believe there is a friction adjustment for this model. I agree about not locking it down on the thrust bar when going forward that's a bad idea.

Oh you should be able to find a schematic of your assembly here.
Evinrude Parts & Johnson Outboard Parts at MarineEngine.com

gm280

Supreme Mariner

The engine is a 1977. I don't believe there is a friction adjustment for this model. I agree about not locking it down on the thrust bar when going forward that's a bad idea.

Oh you should be able to find a schematic of your assembly here.
Evinrude Parts & Johnson Outboard Parts at MarineEngine.com

Waterman, According to the actual shop manual you should be able to tighten the force needed to tilt your engine via the nut on the starboard side at the pivot point. Mine has a very hard spring there and a 9/16" nut to adjust. If you tighten that nut it will increase the force needed to tilt the engine... There is also an adjustment for the steering force as well on the port side of the pivot section...

Also thanks for the link but that link doesn't have the diagrams for some reason. However, I have found the IPB's for my engine at other marine part places include here on iboats and not one of them show any detail to see how those parts are assembled underneath. I have the specific year, model, HP and manufacturer's shop manual for my engine (40E76R), and you would even think that they would cover that section too. But no such luck. So I guess I'll try different assemblies and see what finally works...

Watermann

Thanks GM, you wanted a pic of my set up, since the engine is on the boat it will be tough. Let me know if you still need it and here is the link to the exploded view of my reverse lock assembly at marineengines. I don't see any parts listed as being a friction bolt, take a look and let me know what part # you think it would be.

Johnson Exhaust Housing Parts for 1977 55hp 55EL77D Outboard Motor

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Thanks GM, you wanted a pic of my set up, since the engine is on the boat it will be tough. Let me know if you still need it and here is the link to the exploded view of my reverse lock assembly at marineengines. I don't see any parts listed as being a friction bolt, take a look and let me know what part # you think it would be.

Johnson Exhaust Housing Parts for 1977 55hp 55EL77D Outboard Motor

Thanks again. I looked over your engine setup and it is not like mine the least so I guess any pictures would not be helpful in this issue. But I do thank you very much for the offer. I also looked over your engine parts lists and I have to say I don't see any friction adjustments either. So I guess I can't help you with your issue either. But it was good talking anyway... Do have a great day...and thanks very much again for the offer of help... :)

Watermann

Hey thanks for the stop by and trying! Anyone else out there have any ideas?

Watermann

Another trip launching with near zero reverse thrust from the motor before it wants to climb over the transom. Wish I could figure this one out.

Watermann

A work around for now, I just removed the spring that held the locking mechanism from locking down on the thrust bar. With the tilt/run lever in the run position it locks down and holds great now. I tested it today out crappie fishing. Flip the lever to tilt and it will unlock just fine.