Unable to inject grease into a 1999 25 hp Johnson shift lever shaft

coppcar

Cadet
I just bought a 1999 25HP Johnson. I'm not able to inject grease into the shift lever shaft grease fitting. I was able to stroke the lever a fraction of an inch and then it stopped and I could not move the handle any further. I checked the zerk fitting and it's fine. Doesn't seem normal to me but this is my first small outboard. Shouldn't I be able to inject grease in one end and see it come out somewhere else? Is this normal or does this indicate a clogged pathway? If you feel it's clogged what steps do I take to fix? I have the service manual. Thanks much!

Rodger

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: Unable to inject grease into a 1999 25 hp Johnson shift lever shaft

I would just remove the zerk and soak it in some solvent to clean it out if that doesn't work, replace it. Also clean out any hardened grease or gunk inside the hole the best you can.

coppcar

Cadet

Thank you for the response Watermann. I did remove the zerk and it works fine. It isn't clogged. The hollow shift shaft had some old grease in there, but it didn't seem dried out or anything. I poked my awl in there until it bottomed out. It would be most helpful to know if other people can inject grease into this shaft and see it come out the other end, or if they if they have the same issue I do.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

If there is a way or any room in there, I would just squirt in what grease I could until its full and call it good. Normally most times grease does come out around the pivot point. I went in and shot some grease to mine just to see, it got tight at about 3 pumps and nothing came out either so I stopped and called it well enough.

coppcar

Cadet

After considering this situation, I went out this morning and put my MityVac on that hollow shaft. I removed the zerk and pulled a vacuum. An interesting thing happened. There was zero leakage until I moved the shift lever through its travel and the vacuum dropped as the lever was moved into the forward position.

I reinstalled the zerk and put the grease gun on and pressurized it. While holding the grease gun on the zerk, I moved the shift lever through its range and the pressure was not relieved. This tells me that something on the inside of the shaft is clogging whatever hole exists in that shaft while under pressure. During a vacuum, the blockage is pulled away from the orifice and the vacuum equalizes when the shaft is moved. I'm going to remove the zerk tonight and flush it out with something.

Thank you Watermann for checking yours. It helps to know that others have something similar happening. I will be sure to keep you updated as I learn more. At least one other person has encountered this very same thing, without an answer being provided. Lack of lubrication of this spot would contribute to hard shifting and wearing out that housing where the shaft goes.

...later

Obviously there is something I don't understand (imagine that! :rolleyes:). After cleaning out the shaft's "tube" and finding nothing to account for this behavior, I refilled with grease. It took one stroke of the grease gun to reach the point where no more could be added. As Watermann suggested earlier, it's just that way. Perhaps I'll understand another day.

Thanks!!

Rodger

Last edited: