2003 Johnson 90 Lower Unit. PLEASE, I need input.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer
Good evening to all.

Today was a big day for me. FINALLY, I was able to put my baot in the water with a new-to-me motor. Switched from a Mercury 70 to this Johnson 90. The power of this motor is unreal compared to the old Mercury. My old McKee Craft was flying, and the hole shot was fantastic. Thanks to all who helped me put it together.

I have a small issue. Earlier if any of you remember, my lower unit was leaking. After failing a vacume test, I pulled the lower unit and found the drive shaft seals bad. The lower unit then passed a vacume test and pressure test, so I put it back on the motor. After taking the boat out today, I popped the lower unit screw to find my new oil looked like Honey Mustard Salad dressing. Yet, the unit still held 10-11-12 lbs of vacume pressure in three different test.

Now I am lost. I have no idea on where to go from here. The lower unit had absolutely no issues shifting or anything. Smooth as silk in all gears. Does anyone have any ideas of where to start looking? I need to jump on this now, so I am not buying a new lower unit later.

Thanks

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: 2003 Johnson 90 Lower Unit. PLEASE, I need input.

Did you install new washers on both the drain and refill screws? Those washers are one-time use only.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2003 Johnson 90 Lower Unit. PLEASE, I need input.

Will,
You know something? I am not sure. I know the screws and washers have been in and out of those holes several times with pressure and vaccume testing, so I probably did reuse the same washers over again. I think I may refill the lower unit once again with fresh screw washers, and try the motor.

Man, that would sure be nice.