1993 evinrude 120 hp ignition probs

gbert

Cadet
I just got this motor on a boat as a gift because it has problems. Started it up on water muffs and it ran rough and idle was high even after warm. I never got a chance to ground the black/white temp wire to see if quick start would drop out because motor died and wouldn't restart. It would fire a bit but never start. I have no spark tester. Found that one of the timer base wires was rubbed bare and grounding. Taped it up but no go. I also checked the rectifier/regulator resistance between yellow wires and red and they were open in both directions. Timer base coil resistances check ok. I'm assuming the grounded timer base coil could have blown the power pack. Would grounded timer coil blow rectifier? It was replaced recently.

gbert

Cadet
Re: 1993 evinrude 120 hp ignition probs

I just got this motor on a boat as a gift because it has problems. Started it up on water muffs and it ran rough and idle was high even after warm. I never got a chance to ground the black/white temp wire to see if quick start would drop out because motor died and wouldn't restart. It would fire a bit but never start. I have no spark tester. Found that one of the timer base wires was rubbed bare and grounding. Taped it up but no go. I also checked the rectifier/regulator resistance between yellow wires and red and they were open in both directions. Timer base coil resistances check ok. I'm assuming the grounded timer base coil could have blown the power pack. Would grounded timer coil blow rectifier? It was replaced recently.

I have a new powerpack ordered. Hope I didnt rush into that decision. Can anyone advise if my suspected bad rectifier would be a risk for blowing powerpack again. Also does the high ohms both ways on the yellow to red leads confirm that the rectifier is bad? The OEM service manual doesnt list that check for rectifier just cranking voltage tests. Thanks

gbert

Cadet
Re: 1993 evinrude 120 hp ignition probs

I have a new powerpack ordered. Hope I didnt rush into that decision. Can anyone advise if my suspected bad rectifier would be a risk for blowing powerpack again. Also does the high ohms both ways on the yellow to red leads confirm that the rectifier is bad? The OEM service manual doesnt list that check for rectifier just cranking voltage tests. Thanks

New powerpack and no change. Will fire on ether for a few seconds. Compression good on all 4. I'm new to this forum, just joined yesterday. Not sure why no responses. Am I not going about this the right way?