1961 Johnson 40hp RDSL-23. Fuel filter size and..does this one even have one?

chead98

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi guys. What size fuel filter shall I get? 5/8, 9/16...not sure. I was looking at my motor yesterday and I did not see one there. I'll try and post a couple of pics of the motor when I originally received it and maybe you could point out where it is or where it should be. Thanks, Chris IMG_1922b.jpgIMG_1924b.jpg

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1961 Johnson 40hp RDSL-23. Fuel filter size and..does this one even have one?

It should be hanging from the bottom of your fuel pump a glass bowl, The filter itself could be a ceramic circle or a screen cone type on the inside of the glass bowl.

chead98

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1961 Johnson 40hp RDSL-23. Fuel filter size and..does this one even have one?

It should be hanging from the bottom of your fuel pump a glass bowl, The filter itself could be a ceramic circle or a screen cone type on the inside of the glass bowl.

Hi Admiral. I guess the next thing I need to find out is where the fuel pump is. I don't know much about outboards but I'm learning quite rapidly. Thanks

kfa4303

Banned

Hi chead. Follow the fuel line from the gas tank through the cowl and you'll see it enter the fuel pump. It should be mounted on the left side of the powerhead and has the glass bowl. Don't be surprised if the ceramic filter is very dirty which may impede the flow of fuel. Some folks remove them all together and install aftermarket fuel filters instead. There will then be a fuel line leading to the carb, which is mounted on the front of the powerhead. Here's a great overall tune up link for "Big Twin" motors.

Reviving a Vintage Big Twin - Part 1