1940 - Johnson 2.5 HP

Rick.

Captain
Dear Abby, I found the above motor for sale, in running condition I'm told. It's an hours drive away and he wants 200 dollars. I have no need of it at all but would, on occasion, use it. What should I do? Signed, Impulsive.
P.S. can you get plugs, wires, impellers,
points and coils for this motor still? Thanks to all and sorry for the attempt at humor. But I do feel like I have a problem! Rick.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1940 - Johnson 2.5 HP

What model is it Rick?

The HS, HA or HD? Regardless, I personally feel that is a bit high for that model. I realize though they are likely more abundant here around the Great Lakes than where you are in Alberta so prices may be higher there.

Now what kind of a loser likes to buy old outboards anyways ;) Thats what my wife asks me anyways.

PS if your impulsive side buys it, I can get you all the consumables for it.

mainer4

Cadet
Re: 1940 - Johnson 2.5 HP

What model is it Rick?

The HS, HA or HD? Regardless, I personally feel that is a bit high for that model. I realize though they are likely more abundant here around the Great Lakes than where you are in Alberta so prices may be higher there.

Now what kind of a loser likes to buy old outboards anyways ;) Thats what my wife asks me anyways.

PS if your impulsive side buys it, I can get you all the consumables for it.

Hi, I was doing a search for Johnson 2.5HP HS15 and came across this thread. I am sort of in the same position, but I am actively looking for a little canoe pusher and was attracted to this cuz it is a very light motor and 2cy water cooled sounds quiet. My motor is owned by an old geezer and he wants $90 for it, slightly disassembled, but "I know it will run, I had it running in a barrel 30 years ago." I am willing to take a chance on it if parts are available, but I am not sure what kind of cooling system it uses and he can't help me. Also wondering about coils and points availability. The pictures of the motor shows that it hasn't been used all that much. Anyway, any sources, links, or advice about this motor and parts is very much appreciated!

1977 Johnson 70HP on my 1974 Starcraft 16' runabout
1990 Johnson 8HP on my 16' work barrel barge

Last edited: