77 115 johnson 4v control locked up

jjohnston04

Cadet
i am revamping a ol mark twain tri hull and it has a 115 johnson 4v on it. while revamping the motor with new parts like impeller, impeller housing ect. we used the controls while starting the motor like 20 times. we was on our mayden voyage got the boat in the water started it went to put it into reverse but would only rev up so im sure i have the linkage set wrong. it would go into forward just fine. but after puting it into forward gear i went back to neutral then tried to go back into revers but the control was locked in neutral and would not go past neutral into the reverse position. it would go into forward which worked fine. i pulled it back onto the trailer and went back home.

i got it back to my shop took the controller apart checked the cables they are all free and easy to move. checked the motor where the cables hook up its all moving free and easy. i do know and diagnosed that it is the controller its self but dont know whats wrong with it. i can tell there is some wear but not worn out.

does anyone have any ideas.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: 77 115 johnson 4v control locked up

I would remove the shift cable from the shift lever on the motor. While someone is turning the prop, use your fingers to manually shift the lever into reverse and see if the gears lock up the prop. If it won't lock into reverse then it's just out of adjustment, probable cause would be the actual shifting rod that was put out of adjustment when you had the lower unit off. There is a specific height the shift rod has to be, it cant be just screwed in all the way into the gear case. There is a FAQ here listing the shift rod heights down to the 32 of an inch.
http://forums.iboats.com/engine-fre...ights-1973-thru-1981-50-235hp-obj-158088.html

jjohnston04

Cadet

I would remove the shift cable from the shift lever on the motor. While someone is turning the prop, use your fingers to manually shift the lever into reverse and see if the gears lock up the prop. If it won't lock into reverse then it's just out of adjustment, probable cause would be the actual shifting rod that was put out of adjustment when you had the lower unit off. There is a specific height the shift rod has to be, it cant be just screwed in all the way into the gear case. There is a FAQ here listing the shift rod heights down to the 32 of an inch.
http://forums.iboats.com/engine-fre...ights-1973-thru-1981-50-235hp-obj-158088.html

Ok i did what you sugested and it shifts into reverse neutral and reverse by hand just fine.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Hey that should be an easy fix then if it goes into reverse gear, you don't have to pull the LU off again. Should just be the cable adjustment on the motor. Shift lever in neutral, control lever in neutral they should line up without being off if not adjust. Hook up the cable, do the same thing using the control lever this time, turn the prop while engaging reverse. If it won't go into gear make the adjustment until it goes in reverse all the way solid.