1960 evinrude 75hp

andrewcoon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a starflite 2 and I have no clue how to wire the ignition. Any help??:confused::confused:

Re: 1960 evinrude 75hp

Go to evinrude .com see if they have a wireing diagram for your motor or one that has same egnition as yours and print it out

andrewcoon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ill look later.. But I hooked up my new ignition and she wont crank or get spark when I pull on the rope. I just spent a lot of money with new plugs fuel likes added a fuel filter and other stuff. I am really bummed it didnt work after all that money spent.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

get a copy of the original service manual from outboardbooks.com

emckelvy

Commander

Here's a link to parts diagrams/breakdowns for your motor:

Evinrude Starflite Magneto And Distributor Parts for 1960 75hp 50522 Outboard Motor

Your '60 75hp Starflite V4 has a magneto. The only connection to the external wiring harness required is at the Starboard side of the magneto, located right above the "break line" of the magneto/distributor cap.

When the ign switch is in the "Off" position, the magneto connection is shorted to ground and spark is killed.

With the key "On" or "Start", the magneto is not shorted to ground, and if working correctly, will spark when turned.

You can eliminate the switch & external wiring as a potential problem, by disconnecting the external wire from the magneto terminal, leaving in place the wire which goes up to the the points assy.

If you still don't have spark, you're gonna have to tear down the magneto for servicing. Most likely it's "hazed" ign points which could be cleaned/gapped and placed back into service, if they're in good-enough condition. Otherwise install a "tune-up kit" which has 2 new sets of points, condenser & points lube.

A couple of other common problem areas on these are 1) bad rotor and 2) bad ign coil.

But the most common, hands-down problem is with points and that's where I'd go first.

Not having serviced one of these before, you're definitely gonna want to order that service manual. It's a pretty basic procedure, but there are things that have to be done/adjusted/synchronized "by the book" for best results.

HTH............ed

andrewcoon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you very much. If I set the gap and clean the points will I have to re time the distributer

deeldavid

Cadet
Guys I have a 1960 75hp starflite, I got it running but after a few minutes the water coming out the exhaust gets really hot and steamy, would this be a head problem, normal or something else ?

interalian

Commander
Guys I have a 1960 75hp starflite, I got it running but after a few minutes the water coming out the exhaust gets really hot and steamy, would this be a head problem, normal or something else ?

Hi David,
I suggest you start your own thread. Maybe post a video of what it's doing. Good luck.

deeldavid

Cadet
Thanks from Southern Alberta, I feel really stupid but I can't figure out how to start a new thread and add video !! Could you explain ?? Thx a million

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Thanks from Southern Alberta, I feel really stupid but I can't figure out how to start a new thread and add video !! Could you explain ?? Thx a million
Go to the top of the johnson/Evinrude forum and click on new topics