2005 Johnson 90 HP what oil to use?

mainejohn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just recently brought a 05 Johnson 90hp saltwater edition and was wondering what is the best 2 stroke oil to use? Also my arch on the boat one,t working- best to check the tach its self first?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2005 Johnson 90 HP what oil to use?

Any TC-W3 rated oil will do fine, John. I used SuperTech from Walmart. Synthetics make less smoke and carbon and use more bucks.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2005 Johnson 90 HP what oil to use?

It still amazes me as to how many times that same question appears on these forums. And how many personal opinions will show up. I'm with "JB" on this one. Any two cycle oil rated TC-W3 will absolutely work. If you want to spend the extra money for synthetic oils then go for it. But remember that most of these engines (the older ones anyway) will run so much better using the TC-W3 oils as oppose to what was recommended when they were originally sold. What I am saying is the minimum spec of today’s TC-W3 oils are far superior to the old TC-W oil’s minimum spec recommended when they were sold years ago. So just pick one brand and happy boating... This certainly won't be the last time seeing this question for this boating season for sure... :D