Cost to convert long shaft to short on Johnson 9.9?

robertjp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can somebody give me a rough estimate what it would cost to convert a 1997 long shaft Johnson 9.9 to a short shaft? Is it fairly easy or would I need an outboard mechanic to do it? Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cost to convert long shaft to short on Johnson 9.9?

And the model number is???? Whatever, if it is a factory long shaft, it probably would be extremely expensive and not easy.

robertjp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is factory long shaft. Just trying to get a ball park estimate so I know if its worth buying.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

It will not be worth buying and then converting. Some motors use a spacer between the lower unit and the mid section to extent it to a long shaft. If this is the case on this one, you will need the shorter drive shaft, shift linkage and tube going from the waterpump to the power head. Cost for new parts ??? $300.00 to $400.00 maybe.

I have an older 9.9 that was converted to a long shaft, but my buddy had all the parts so there was no cost.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

As a Dealer job, $1500 minimum. Probably $2000.

kfa4303

Banned

+1. Not really worth it to try to convert it, but you can build a transom riser/jackplate to raise the longshaft motor until the anti-vent plate is level, or slightly higher than the keel of the boat. I had to do it to my '60s era Johnson due to its odd 18" leg length on my 15" transom. You can buy fancy after market versions, or make one yourself. I used some scrap aluminum and wood and it works great.