84 Evinrude 35HP starts with primer then dies

qcarlson

Seaman
I have pulled carb off twice checked float level and drop. Replaced Fuel Pump. No go.
this motor sat for 6-7 years with no use, is clean as a whistle 120PSI on both cyl, great spark, fuel is making its way to the bowl, but it will not start unless I push the key in runs for a few seconds then just dies out. I have the float level with the carb body and drop is 1.5".

any advise on this would be helpful....FYI prior to carb rebuild fuel was just pouring out of the top of the carb

Thanks again guys. in advance!!!

likitvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 84 Evinrude 35HP starts with primer then dies

Did you also clean the carb throughly? The jets or passages could be clogged.

Further, did you ensure that fuel is delivered to the bowl when the carb is mounted? I found that it is very easy to kink the fuel line under carb while mounting, blocking fuel passage.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

If you know for certain that your fuel pump is working properly, then you still have a carb problem... The fact that you have to keep the primer working to keep it started and running shows a very lean idle circuit. So when you go through the carb again make very sure every little passage is free clear and open from even a grain of sand or crude. It doesn't take hardly anything to plug a carb idle or high speed circuit... Also make sure your fuel lines are in great shape. If your fuel lines are deteriorating from the inside without you knowing or even if it has been some time since they have been changed, maybe you should change them also... A small little flake of fuel line will stop up the entire works...

qcarlson

Seaman

Thanks A bunch to gm280 and likitvi it indeed was a clogged high-speed jet passage. I soaked and cleaned and soaked and cleaned, none the less still had to get in the passage with a little pick and clean out the passage big chunk of black goo in there that I could not see....Up and running like a champ