1961 40hp Johnson RDSL-23. Spitting gas from the carb after running for 20 min.

chead98

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi guys. Had the 16' Starcraft Aluminum with the 40hp Johnson boat out today for a test run. 1st major run since I purchased it and had it serviced. I posted a question the other day re: a no start issue but solved it. Now we have another issue.
So me and the wife and daughter were out cruising around for 20 minutes or so testing it out. It was running great. We decided we had enough and this test should be good fine for a future outing. We started to head back in and I opened her out. I could hardly hold on to the stering wheel as we were going so fast (not) Anyway, as we were heading back in at a nice speed, it cut out. I noticed gas coming from the carb.

Now this happened last week too on a short test run and I disconnected the fuel line, waited a while, started it up without the fuel lines connected and it ran again for 30 sec or so and reconnected the fuel lines to make it back to shore.
Today we tried it again but pretty much ran the battery dry from turning it over and over.

Can anyone explain why it starts to spit gas from the carburetor cut out after cruising for some time.
I`m sure if I go out now and try and start it it would run first turn of the key.

Thanks, Chris

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 1961 40hp Johnson RDSL-23. Spitting gas from the carb after running for 20 min.

Hi chead. The fact that you've got gas coming out of the carb is tell tale sign that the carb is flooding. It's usually due to a stuck float needle. Your best bet is to clean/rebuild the carb. You can get a rebuild kit right here at iboats for about $20. You should probably replace the old, original cork float with a new plastic one as well. Here are some handy links.

Reviving a Vintage Big Twin - Part 1
1961 Johnson RDSL-23 40 hp Outboard Motor Parts
Carburetor Kit18-7010 Carburetor Kit for Johnson/Evinrude 382054 382051 382050 - Sierra - iboats
Carburetor Float for Johnson/Evinrude 382363, GLM 77290 - Sierra - iboats

Fishknutz

Cadet
Re: 1961 40hp Johnson RDSL-23. Spitting gas from the carb after running for 20 min.

Yup, sounds like trash in the float bowl. Pull the bowl off, dump it out, put it back on and go.
That happened to me a few times on my Nissan 40hp. With the bowl off, give the ball a squeeze to clear any trash from the float valve that should do it. Just make sure you are not smoking when you do it. You are wanted back on the water. image.jpg

Blacksting

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yup, sounds like trash in the float bowl. Pull the bowl off, dump it out, put it back on and go.
That happened to me a few times on my Nissan 40hp. With the bowl off, give the ball a squeeze to clear any trash from the float valve that should do it. Just make sure you are not smoking when you do it. You are wanted back on the water. View attachment 193255

my '66 coughed up gas as well . thats' how I found out the hard way to NOT INSTALL THE STARTER SELONOID UNDER THGE CARB !!! ,.....the flames were 4' high .:facepalm:

chead98

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi chead. The fact that you've got gas coming out of the carb is tell tale sign that the carb is flooding. It's usually due to a stuck float needle. Your best bet is to clean/rebuild the carb. You can get a rebuild kit right here at iboats for about $20. You should probably replace the old, original cork float with a new plastic one as well. Here are some handy links.

Carburetor Kit18-7010 Carburetor Kit for Johnson/Evinrude 382054 382051 382050 - Sierra - iboats

Thanks Admiral again for your help. I'll see what I can do from here and keep you posted. Chris

chead98

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That happened to me a few times on my Nissan 40hp. With the bowl off, give the ball a squeeze to clear any trash from the float valve that should do it. Just make sure you are not smoking when you do it. You are wanted back on the water. View attachment 193255

Hi Fishknuts. When you refer to float bowl, how does that relate to the Admirals quotes. Is the float bowl the (float needle) or (cork float) I may order the entire carb kit and replace it myself or simple relace the part of the carb that is causing the problem. This is a learning process for me as it's my first time I have thought about doing any major work on an outboard.

BTW, the boat in your profile picture. What year is it? I think I may have the exact same one but I never knew the year of mine as the info plate was ripped off when I purchased it. I'll try and place a pucture up here of it. All parts are not original, i.e windshield, bow light. Thanks for your help. Chris

chead98

Petty Officer 3rd Class

my '66 coughed up gas as well . thats' how I found out the hard way to NOT INSTALL THE STARTER SELONOID UNDER THGE CARB !!! ,.....the flames were 4' high .:facepalm:

Here's a couple of pics of my boat. Lets see if this works. IMG_2016b.JPGIMG_2010ab.jpg

chead98

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Admiral, due to one time shipping cost here to Toronto Canada, I would like please one order instead of multiple orders to save money. Is there anything else I should order while I'm there? I was thinking of a fuel filter but I don't know which one is required for my motor? Thx, Chris

kfa4303

Banned

Hello again chead. All you should need to order is the carb kit itself and a replacement/plastic float. As for a fuel filter, I add one to all of my motors, but I just use a simple inline fuel filter available from any auto parts store (see pic below). I install mine in the fuel line between the fuel pump and the carb. Not only does it filter the fuel, but it lets you actually see the fuel pump working while underway, which is a handy diagnostic tool.

in-line fuel filter.jpg

chead98

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hello again chead. All you should need to order is the carb kit itself and a replacement/plastic float. As for a fuel filter, I add one to all of my motors, but I just use a simple inline fuel filter available from any auto parts store (see pic below). I install mine in the fuel line between the fuel pump and the carb. Not only does it filter the fuel, but it lets you actually see the fuel pump working while underway, which is a handy diagnostic tool.

View attachment 193285

Thanks Admiral. I'll go ahead and place the order now. I'll pick up a fuel filter somewhere here in Toronto. Chris

Fishknutz

Cadet

It's a 1968 jet star with a 1974 Johnson 70hp

Fishknutz

Cadet

Just looked at your pics Sweet ride :)

chead98

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks

chead98

Petty Officer 3rd Class

View attachment 193285

Hi Admiral. What size fuel filter shall I get? I was looking at my motor yesterday and I did not see one there. I'll try and post a couple of pics of the motor when I originally received it and maybe you could point out where it is or where it should be. Thanks, ChrisIMG_1924b.jpgIMG_1922b.jpg