Help finding an "obsolete" evinrude part for 1995 controls

fourtwenty

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 90HP Evinrude E90ELEOC and the trim/tilt switch on the throttle handle shorts out and blows a fuse when you push it down. The control on the motor itself works fine so I am pretty sure the switch in the handle is to blame. The one I need is part # 0395821 from what I can tell. Everywhere I look it is not available and the BRP website says it's obsolete. Does anyone know of a place to get a part like this (new or used)? We're not going to replace the whole controls (too much $$$) so my other alternative is to wire it up to a switch on the dash.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help finding an "obsolete" evinrude part for 1995 controls

Blowing a fuse would indicate that the wire attached to the switch's down mode is shorted to ground.... the wire itself, NOT the switch. Trace that wire back to locate the problem.

fourtwenty

Seaman Apprentice

Blowing a fuse would indicate that the wire attached to the switch's down mode is shorted to ground.... the wire itself, NOT the switch. Trace that wire back to locate the problem.

Sorry, I should have added that the switch mechanism "feels" broken, something inside the switch itself is broken.

I'm taking it all apart next weekend to properly have a look but I wanted to know if it's even possible to get this part or if I should go to the cottage armed with a momentary rocker switch to put on the dash if, as I suspect, the switch is at fault.

phillnjack2

Ensign

i have had the same problem
the switch has a tiny little bit of plastic that breaks off over time.
just take the handle off then strip down the swtch and use a bit of epoxy glue like araldite with the hardener and it will be fine.
that little silly toggle switch can be foound in lots of electircal stores, but again youl need to glue it in place to keep it where it should be.
Mine is now working fine and like new.
its not a hard job once the handle is off the box.

phill

fourtwenty

Seaman Apprentice

i have had the same problem
the switch has a tiny little bit of plastic that breaks off over time.
just take the handle off then strip down the swtch and use a bit of epoxy glue like araldite with the hardener and it will be fine.
that little silly toggle switch can be foound in lots of electircal stores, but again youl need to glue it in place to keep it where it should be.
Mine is now working fine and like new.
its not a hard job once the handle is off the box.

phill

Is it difficult to get the handle off the box? From what I see there are 2 screws to separate the box from the boat, and then a screw on the back to separate the handle. Is it that easy or am I in for a bit more than that? Thanks for your suggestion btw!

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, it's easy. Unmount the box from the boat by removing the 2 screws, loosen the Allen head screw on the backside of the handle about 3 or 4 turns and give it a sharp whack with a hammer and flat faced punch. That will release the tapered spline where the handle fits into the control. Remove the allen screw and the handle comes off. The hole that the Allen screw is recessed in is exactly the same on the front side of the control box. The handle can be installed on either side allowing right or left side mounting of the control. I see a lot of controls mounted on the left hand side of center consoles because the installer didn't know about this feature. You may find a switch on ebay, they pop up occasionally.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, I should have added that the switch mechanism "feels" broken, something inside the switch itself is broken.

Oh, Okay... In which case, it's always possible that the broken switch (in the down mode) could be throwing voltage to both the up and down mode at the same time. That would certainly blow a fuse.