67 Johnson 20 hp shifter

slync

Recruit
I recently purchased the mentioned outboard. The shifter pattern seems incorrect. Not sure how this can occur. Neutral position is full rearward reverse in middle position and forward correct at full forward position. The throttle lockout occurs in the reverse position instead of the usual neutral.

Last edited:

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 67 Johnson 20 hp shifter

HI slync. Welcome to iboats. I have a '66 20 hp myself. That's a pretty weird issue you're having. Quite frankly, I'm not sure how it's even possible. Ideally, you should be able to flip the gear select forward to put the motor in FWD gear, the middle position for Neu and back for REV. Because this is not the case, I would sugest you disconnect the shift shaft linkage and drop the lower unit. Once removed, you can then manually select the gears by pulling up on the lower shift shaft rod to put it into FWD at which point you can rotate the prop clockwise by hand. It should catch after 1/8-1/4 turn. You can then put the lower unit into REV by pushing down on the shift shaft rod, whcih should allow to yo rotate the prop couterclockwise about 1/8-1/4 of a turn. Here's a great link that can walk you through a tune up from top to bottom. Holler if you have any other questions.

Maintaining Johnson E & FD Serie

AlTn

Commander

do you notice any movement in the propshaft...foward, or backward...when you are using the shift lever?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I recently purchased the mentioned outboard. The shifter pattern seems incorrect. Not sure how this can occur. Neutral position is full rearward reverse in middle position and forward correct at full forward position. The throttle lockout occurs in the reverse position instead of the usual neutral.

So you are saying reverse and neutral are backwards? Like kfa, I don't see how that is physically possible. When you figure it out. let us know so we will know too.

slync

Recruit

Thanks everyone. I will give your suggestions a try. It's definetly odd for sure