Lower Unit Removal...PLEASE HELP! (shift rod linkage) 89' 40hp Johnson

I am trying to remove the lower unit off of my 1989 johnson 40. I have removed all 6 bolts on the bottom end, as well as the screw going through the bellcrank below the carbs that the shift rod attatches too (which I thought would allow the lower unit to drop). Anyways, after I did this my foot dropped about 3/4 of the way but will not drop any farther...and will also not go back up. I have the lower unit 3/4 of the way out now and sitting on blocks...need help! Somebody please let me know something. Thanks

-Marion C Lewis III

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lower Unit Removal...PLEASE HELP! (shift rod linkage) 89' 40hp Johnson

JMHO. But if it's 3/4 of the way out, not inches, I'd just pull harder.

yeah not 3/4 inches...3/4 of the way (probably 2 feet out). I'll give that a try tomorrow but I have pulled pretty hard and haven't had any luck.

JDusza

Ensign

I'll bet it's the kink in the shift rod catching an edge or becoming wedged. Can you raise it at all, to remove pressure and try to rattle the shift rod...

that makes sense but no luck when i tried...it won't budge to relieve pressure. Keep the suggestions coming,,,everything helps. Thanks

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

That far down it should have fallen off. Is the water tube coming down with the lower unit? It shouldn't.

water tube isn't coming down with it. i have been fooling with it again this morning and no luck. I don't understand it and its currently not even transportable to take to the shop because the foot won't come down or go up.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Well there are only 3 parts that could effect this. Drive shaft, shift rod and watertube. Nothing there to stop the drve shaft which leaves the other 2.

I got it off...it was caught on an edge i believe. I just pulled hard and shook for about 15 minutes and it finally slid off. Thanks for the help guys

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Great to hear you've gotten it free. Have you been able to determine what it hung up on?

Said to say for myself but I've got a 1988 70hp in the garage that the driveshaft is stuck into the powerhead and will not come out. Still Not certain what this ones fate will be.